Last post May 03, 2006 07:58 AM by mkamoski
May 01, 2006 07:58 AM|mkamoski|LINK
May 01, 2006 08:52 AM|Ultima Hosts|LINK
May 01, 2006 09:07 AM|mkamoski|LINK
...Basically SQL Express user instances aren't designed for shared hosting as they require access to the Local System to function. This is a big security risk for hosts so that is why you won't find many offering it...
...that is what I feared and it does (so far) seem to be the case. If that is true, I cannot imagine why my web host, who has been very good so far, would lead me to believe that they do support SQL Sever Express 2005 (SSE). I have a mind to press the point
with them, just to find out. In all fairness, maybe I have read their hosting options incorrectly and they, in fact, do not claim to support SSE. This could be my error and that, as history shows, is quite common.
...At UltimaCSK we can...
...yes, I just looked at your offerings and, I must say, they are quite good-- especially the "CSK Plan". I am considering my options. Overall, I do like my current host,
http://www.WebHost4Life.com but, as of now, your prices do look better. My only hesitation is moving my domain names, code, databases, and so on. However, I will give it some serious thought.
I really appreciate the information.
May 01, 2006 09:30 AM|Ultima Hosts|LINK
May 03, 2006 07:58 AM|mkamoski|LINK
OK. I got it. It is working.
FWIW and FYI, the site is here...
...but it is just a "stock" site right now.
Anyway, here are some things that I learned.
(1). For some reason, the...
...had to be set in Web.config for both the CommerceDB database and the ASPNET database.
(2). At my host, the database needs to have a unique name. I renamed CommerceDB to something like CommerceDB200605022058 and the same for the ASPNET database.
(3). I had to make sure that I detached the databases on my local workstation for both CommerceDB and ASPNET database BEFORE uploading.
(4). For both the CommerceDB database and the ASPNET database, I had to rename the database itself AND the actual physical files.
(5). I uploaded the *.MDF files but I could not upload the *.LDF files, at the request/suggestion of my web host and, apparently, they are correct.
After all that, it is working.
FWIW, I host at http://www.WebHost4Life.com and I must say that I am pleased with them. It sometimes takes a little doing on my part to get things done; but, given that I am a hands-on person, I don't mind that much.
What is important is that I have complete control over my site's administration, and I do with the tools they provide.