Last post Mar 20, 2006 12:19 PM by leabre
Mar 17, 2006 08:05 PM|leabre|LINK
We converted our web app using ScottGu's web application project. Everything works perfect at the initial point of migration. The problem is, once we open the code behind or the HTML we all of the sudden have to start correcting every problem in the page
before we can continue... such as the Protected Withevents ... being redefined, or the CodeBehind ==> CodeFile plus all the HTML Schema violations light up like a christmas tree.
Anyway, the way I understood was that we wouldn't have to make such changes by using this tool. Perhaps I was mistaken? At this point, we are fully migrated but we can't make any progress because we're stuck having to correct over 17,000 errors in the
application. The same predicament we were in before we used this tool.
Are we doing something wrong? I can't believe the MS removed complete backward compatibility with the previous ASP.NET... that would just be insane. At the same time, I can't understand why they make it so difficult. Even their own migration assistant
is useless, it'll not convert our project and that's that.
Mar 18, 2006 03:00 AM|RyanJ19|LINK
These are errors, not warnings?
I am using protected withevents in a number of places, with no problem. Also, codebehind will be underlined as a warning, but you should leave it there. It will be supported in a future release of the Web Application Project (according to ScottGu...).
It sounds like you may have done something wrong, or maybe you are concerned with the warnings.... In my case, I'm just fixing them as time permits. They don't hurt anything (not any worse than they did before, anyway).
Mar 18, 2006 04:09 AM|shawnb|LINK
These are build errors, not warnings. When In migrate using the utility and things work fine, I just build and run it in IE, no problem. I open up a page, it starts to display these errors, and then says build failed and asks me if I want to continue using
the last build. When I look at the reason, it says control already defined and in other places it craps on not being able to find the codebehind unless I change it to codefile=... and truncate the namespace on the inherits. Annoying.
Mar 18, 2006 04:55 AM|RyanJ19|LINK
Mar 20, 2006 12:19 PM|leabre|LINK
I think I found the problem. When I work with the Web Application project locally, it actually works fine. But when I use Terminal Service (mstsc) to remote into another development box to make the change the it does not work at all. I've come to realize
that Visual Studio 2005 is not designed to work with Teminal Services, there's too many other problems when doing so.