Last post Mar 20, 2006 08:53 PM by unified
Mar 11, 2006 11:37 AM|unified|LINK
I am using VS 2003 v7.1.3088 on XP Professional w/SP2, and Framework v1.1.4322.
Whenever I try to "Start" an ASP.Net application located in "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\<my_project>" (F5), i get the following error message: "Errror while trying to run project." The title of the message dialog is "Microsoft Development Environment" and the message
is simply "Errror while trying to run project."
If I choose to "Start without Debugging" (Ctrl F5), I get the following message with the message dialog title of "Microsoft Development Environment" and the message is:
"Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging.
Unable to start program '%Program Files%\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE'.
The system cannot find the file specified."
I realize that similar questions have been asked and answered many times on these forums, but I cannot find a solution. More importantly, none of the messages I have seen here are the same as the ones I am getting. I have searched Usenet groups, microsoft's
site, etc., but none of the solutions work, probably because the messages are different. Everything appears to be installed properly, i am a member of the debugging group, and permissions are set to full.
I recently moved to a new computer and have been encountering this program ever since installation. I have not had this problem using my other computer, but now existing projects and new projects can't be debugged. All of my projects run perfectly when
I use IE and http://localhost/<my_project>, and Delphi projects placed in wwwroot are able to be debugged/run from its IDE.
If I will have to reinstall VS, .Net, and/or ASP.Net, please advise.
Thanks for any assistance with this matter.
Mar 20, 2006 04:17 AM|harland|LINK
Try running this on the command prompt. Choose the command prompt of VS.Net located in the Start > Program > Visual Studio .NET > Visual Studio .NET Tools > Visual Studio .NET Command Prompt.
net stop iisadmin
net start iisadmin
net start w3svc
If this still doesn't work try deleting the files inside the bin folder of your web application project. And also, try to delete the hidden folders inside inetpub\wwwroot folder.
Hope this helps you solve your problems,
Mar 20, 2006 08:53 PM|unified|LINK
I actually ended up reinstalling Windows XP and EVERYTHING. It took quite a bit of time, and it worked fine for about two days, then it happened again.
I then took a look into System Restore and narrowed it down to being "possibly" the Softare Distribution Service, a part of Windows Update. I now only manually download and install updates. It's been over a week and I have not noticed a debugging problem,
and I am gradually installing software, then debugging after each install just in case it is something else.
I am not really sure what caused the problem, but I hope to never have to find out. :)
Thanks again for your help.