Last post Feb 14, 2006 03:47 PM by Mikhail Arkhipov (MSFT)
Feb 14, 2006 08:49 AM|pkw_rob|LINK
Ok. I am a victim of the infamous "cannot open web project" problem.
I have these symptoms:
1. I have an existing project and solution on a web server.
2. At work I can open the project and solution fine in VS2003
3. At work I can open the web with Frontpage
4. I can't open the project or solution from home using VS2003
5. I can't open the web from home using Frontpage
6. I am using Win XP Pro at work and Win XP Pro at home
7. The web server is a shared hosting platform at Verio, who I never have an issue with
8. I had to reinstall the OS on my home machine as well as VS2003 last week. This is when the issues started
9. When I try to open the project from the web at home I do not initially get an error, but I get a local project browse box. then when I change the location in that box to point to the web server, I get a "cannot find web server or web server is not accessible".
I get a similar message when trying to open the site in Frontpage.
10. I can, however, create a new project on the web server without issue!!
Would there be an out of the box setting on XP that is preventing me from seeing the web servers and the projects?
Any help appreciated!!
Feb 14, 2006 02:08 PM|Mikhail Arkhipov (MSFT)|LINK
Feb 14, 2006 02:41 PM|pkw_rob|LINK
Feb 14, 2006 03:47 PM|Mikhail Arkhipov (MSFT)|LINK
Are you able to connect to the site in the browser?
There is no proxy setting in XP, there is Windows Filewall (see Control Panel), but it should affect outgoing connections.