Last post Jan 29, 2006 08:06 AM by nbc

Join WebHost4Life.com

• christoc

christoc

90 Points

1559 Posts

Re: Google again

Jan 27, 2006 11:51 AM|christoc|LINK

Free Last, unfortunatly I think you're fighting a battle you just don't know how to win.

You're trying to get google to index a site that has next to no content (pp4aa) and complain when it does put you at the top of the list? A single page domain isn't going to get near the indexing status that a 200 page site will. Google takes "content" into account, not just "keywords". From looking at pp4aa you have a few hundred words, a couple images and many links to other sites. Also, checkout the keywords on your pp4aa site, they're all your drugmap keywords.

Not to judge or anything but the more I look at your sites it looks like you're trying to just build "spam" sites. Perhaps you aren't, but that's the impression I get, and I wouldn't be shocked if google also picked up on that fact and indexed you less because of that.

If you're trying to play SEO games you'll honestly be better off finding SEO help elsewhere, this isn't really a DNN topic anymore.

Chris Hammond
    Christoc.com DotNetNuke (DNN) Upgrades and Consulting
  • dandrade

dandrade

None

0 Points

166 Posts

Jan 27, 2006 12:39 PM|dandrade|LINK

Free Last, try this

Besides having description and keywords try and name one page pp4aa.htm or make your portal have at least one tab like default.aspx?tabid=pp4aa

Then, wait until Google spiders visit your page. That can take a while.
  • cmwoodall

cmwoodall

None

0 Points

2 Posts

Jan 27, 2006 03:33 PM|cmwoodall|LINK

I have a suggestion.  You are obviously not satisfied with your Google results, however at this point there is only speculation concerning the reason(s) why your pages are not appearing.  To better understand the true reason, it would help to determine whether 1) google is actually crawling your full site (or has crawled yet) OR 2) google is crawling your site but not considering/including your content for its index (which could be due to reasons mentioned earlier.  To differentiate between these two I would suggest that you carefully analyze your DNN Site Log for hits from the various crawlers.  In the case of Google, you should be able to monitor activity by watching for UserAgent of "Googlebot/2.1".  It may very well be that google has simply not crawled your full site yet...

• free last

free last

None

0 Points

109 Posts

Jan 27, 2006 05:07 PM|free last|LINK

Thanks for the help. It might bother you guys too much.

In fact, I don't know whether my site been  crawled yet by Google. My Site Log shows that accessed from MSN, Dogpile, Alltheweb, and Yahoo. Nothing from Google yet. At the very beginning, if I just searched on "drugmap", I didn't get my site. After several weeks, it appeared on Google search results, but with no contents, only 2 lines as following:

www.drugmap.com/ - 56 visits - 4:34pm
    Similar pages - Remove result

then I cannot get any better. Nothing on the page can be searchable.

Thanks for all the help.

Please ignore my post if you think this is irrelevant here.

<script>var ie5 = false;var bl_g={undo:"Undo",more:"More options",rmqp:"For this search, remove this page",rmp:"For all searches, remove this page",rms:"For all searches, remove all pages from %h",app:"Remove",can:"Cancel",cqp:"Removed %u from your search results for %q",cp:"Removed %u from all of your search results",cs:"Removed %h from all of your search results",urm:"Restore removed result",rrm:"Redo remove result",hlp:"Help"};var bl_q=function(bl_){return document.getElementById(bl_)};var bl_h=0;function bl_x(){var bl_=document.createElement("div");bl_.style.backgroundColor="#ffff88";bl_.style.padding="5px";bl_.style.marginTop="1em";bl_.style.marginBottom="1em";return bl_}function _tog_mo(bl_,bl_a){var bl_b=bl_q("rm"+bl_);var bl_c=bl_q("mo"+bl_);bl_o(bl_b,bl_a?"none":"block");bl_o(bl_c,bl_a?"block":"none");return false}function bl_z(bl_){return""+bl_+""}function bl_s(bl_,bl_a){return''+bl_a+""}function bl_o(bl_,bl_a){bl_.style.display=bl_a}var bl_v="<div style='padding:5px";function bl_w(bl_,bl_a,bl_b,bl_c){var bl_d=bl_y(bl_);bl_o(bl_d,"none");var bl_i=bl_a.indexOf("//")+2;var bl_e=bl_a.substring(bl_i);var bl_f=bl_e.substring(0,bl_e.indexOf("/"));var bl_k=bl_x();bl_k.id="rm"+bl_h;var bl_u=bl_z(unescape(bl_e));var bl_m=bl_g["c"+bl_b].replace(/%u/,bl_u);bl_m=bl_m.replace(/%h/,bl_z(bl_f));bl_m=bl_m.replace(/%q/,unescape(q.replace(/\+/g," ")).replace(/";bl_k.innerHTML=bl_t;var bl_n=bl_x();bl_n.id="mo"+bl_h;var bl_j=""+bl_u;bl_j+=bl_v+"; line-height:1.3em'>"+"<form action='#' style='padding:0px; margin:0px'>";var bl_p=["qp","p","s"];for(var bl_r in bl_p){bl_j+="
    "}bl_j+=bl_v+" 0px 0px 25px;'>"+"<input type='button' value='"+bl_g.app+"' style='font-weight:bold;'"+' onclick="return _chblk(this.form, '+bl_h+",'"+bl_a+"','"+bl_c+"','"+bl_b+"')\">";bl_j+=" <input type='button' value='"+bl_g.can+"' "+"onclick='return _tog_mo("+bl_h+", false)'>  "+bl_s("_obh()",bl_g.hlp)+"</div></form></div>
    ";bl_n.innerHTML=bl_j;bl_o(bl_n,"none");bl_k.el=bl_d;bl_n.el=bl_d;bl_d.parentNode.insertBefore(bl_k,bl_d);bl_d.parentNode.insertBefore(bl_n,bl_d);bl_h+=1}function bl_A(bl_){var bl_a=bl_q("rm"+bl_);var bl_b=bl_q("mo"+bl_);bl_a.parentNode.removeChild(bl_a);bl_b.parentNode.removeChild(bl_b);return bl_a.el}function bl_D(bl_,bl_a,bl_b,bl_c){bl_.innerHTML=bl_g.rrm;bl_.onclick=function(){return _rblk(bl_,bl_a,bl_b,bl_c)}}function bl_C(bl_,bl_a,bl_b,bl_c){bl_.innerHTML=bl_g.urm;bl_.onclick=function(){return _ublk2(bl_,bl_a,bl_b,bl_c)}}function bl_B(bl_){bl_o(bl_A(bl_),"block")}function bl_y(bl_){var bl_a=bl_.tagName;if(bl_a=="P"||bl_a=="DIV"){return bl_}var bl_b=bl_.parentNode;if(bl_b==null||bl_b==document.body){return null}else{return bl_y(bl_b)}}function bl_l(bl_,bl_a,bl_b,bl_c,bl_d,bl_i){if(document.images){var bl_e=new Image();bl_e.onload=bl_i;bl_e.onerror=bl_i;var bl_f=bl_d>-1?"&btd="+bl_d:"";bl_e.src="/url?sa=b&bla="+bl_a+"&url="+escape(bl_).replace(/\+/g,"%2B")+"&ei="+eid+"&q="+q+"&blt="+bl_b+bl_f+bl_c;if(window.location.hash!="#invalid"&&!ie5){window.location.replace(window.location+"#invalid")}}}function _chblk(bl_,bl_a,bl_b,bl_c,bl_d){var bl_i=null;var bl_e=bl_.mo;for(var bl_f=0;bl_f<bl_e.length;++bl_f){if(bl_e[bl_f].checked){bl_i=bl_e[bl_f].value}}var bl_k=function(){bl_l(bl_b,"b",bl_i,bl_c,bl_h,function(){bl_w(bl_A(bl_a),bl_b,bl_i,bl_c)})};_ublk3(bl_a,bl_b,bl_c,bl_d,bl_k);return false}function _blk(bl_,bl_a,bl_b,bl_c){bl_l(bl_a,?b?,bl_c,bl_b,bl_h,function(){bl_w(bl_,bl_a,bl_c,bl_b)});return false}function _rblk(bl_,bl_a,bl_b,bl_c){bl_l(bl_a,?b?,bl_c,bl_b,-1,function(){bl_C(bl_,bl_a,bl_b,bl_c)});return false}function _ublk2(bl_,bl_a,bl_b,bl_c){bl_l(bl_a,?u?,bl_c,bl_b,-1,function(){bl_D(bl_,bl_a,bl_b,bl_c)});return false}function _ublk(bl_,bl_a,bl_b,bl_c){bl_l(bl_a,?u?,bl_c,bl_b,bl_,function(){bl_B(bl_)});return false}function _ublk3(bl_,bl_a,bl_b,bl_c,bl_d){bl_l(bl_a,?u?,bl_c,bl_b,bl_,bl_d);return false};function _obh(){window.open(?http://www.google.com/psearch/remreshelp.html?,?helpwin?,?toolbar=1,location=1,directories=0,status=1,menubar=1,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,width=400,height=500");return false};</script>

Join WebHost4Life.com

• isomies

isomies

None

0 Points

63 Posts

Jan 28, 2006 08:53 AM|isomies|LINK

I think this is an interesting topic. A lot of the (non DNN) websites I am targeting to update are impossible to find in Google due to howlers like the use of frames.

It is absolutely pointless implementing a site if the target audience can't find it! Anyone putting up a DNN site should be aware of some of the principles of search engine optimisation.

I put up a DNN site at the beginning of last week, I didn't submit it to Google but it has been crawled already and is the top result for "hotell finspång"  (the swedish spelling of hotel and the town it is in) and about 4th for "hotel finspång".

FWIW Google ignores my keywords.

www.obrienit.se
  • free last

free last

None

0 Points

109 Posts

Jan 28, 2006 05:04 PM|free last|LINK

isomies

I put up a DNN site at the beginning of last week, I didn't submit it to Google but it has been crawled already and is the top result for "hotell finspång"  (the swedish spelling of hotel and the town it is in) and about 4th for "hotel finspång".

FWIW Google ignores my keywords.

In my case, I submitted to Google 5 month ago, and did all people suggested me to do, I still cannot find my site even listed on Google. I am not asking to list my site as the first, or even on the 1st page. What I am asking and I fail to have done is that my site's never indexed by Google, never listed. That's what I got frustrated and don't know what to do. I even got many pages (which are already indexed by Google) to have links to my site. Add descriptions, and keywords, still no luck at all. 

Join WebHost4Life.com

• nbc

nbc

None

0 Points

1464 Posts

Jan 28, 2006 10:55 PM|nbc|LINK

As isomies noted Google seem to do an initial site crawl and index very quickly these days. So if your site is not even listed it could be that you have contravened some Google rule and they have 'banned ' that site (or whatever they do). There are some quite good websites that focus on SEO that may be able to shed some light on your problem.
    Regards, Nick

Free Css Skins! | nuke.nickclements.net 
  • mbblum

mbblum

None

0 Points

64 Posts

Jan 29, 2006 03:36 AM|mbblum|LINK

This may provide some insight into Google.

A few weeks ago a friend forwarded an email, which many of you may have seen, with the following:

Subject: The French

1- Go to google.

2- Type in "french military victories", without the quotes

3- Instead of hitting "Search" hit "I'm feeling Lucky"

4- Tell your friends before the people at Google fix it

Fyi, there is no need to hurry, this has been present for almost three years. "feeling lucky" opens the topped ranked page, which in this case is made to look like a Google page.

More interesting is the how, described at: http://www.google-watch.org/newsday.html
    The link on that page to "How Bloggers Game Google", http://www.google-watch.org/gaming.html,  provides a lot of  information about how google works, and how it is fooled by clever SEOs.

Maybe it will help you, it should at least provide some understanding of the Google ranking process.
  • nbc

nbc

None

0 Points

1464 Posts

Jan 29, 2006 08:06 AM|nbc|LINK

I just did that and got "did you mean  french military defeats  " which I  thought was quite funny (surely the French must have won something over the years...)

Anyways,  good post mbblun because it shows;
    1.   There is a lot of good SEO info out there such as the site you mention
    2.   The people at Google/Yahoo etc work flat out to deliver valid and relevant results, so they are not going to be fooled for long by any tricks or work arounds

Regards, Nick

Free Css Skins! | nuke.nickclements.net 
  • ‹ Previous Thread|Next Thread ›