Last post Jan 12, 2006 10:58 AM by harisahmed
Jan 09, 2006 02:41 PM|harisahmed|LINK
I could use some help getting the install to work properly. Here is a bit of info: WinXP Pro, IIS5.1, SQL Server 2000, downloaded and unzipped DNN 4.0.2. I had a quick problem with the web config file, but I figured out that it was because I didn't have
IIS setup to use the .Net 2.0 files instead of 1.1. I know a little about setting up IIS, but probably just enough to be dangerous. :)
Currently I am getting the following error on line 58 of the web config file:
Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application
I thought I set up the virtual directory according to the instructions correctly. Let me know if you need any additional Info, or you think you have a solution.
Jan 09, 2006 03:52 PMfirstname.lastname@example.org|LINK
This is almost always not configuring a Application, check the settings in IIS to be positive.
Jan 09, 2006 05:06 PM|harisahmed|LINK
Jan 09, 2006 08:38 PMemail@example.com|LINK
Recheck permissions as well. And make sure there's no web.config in the root of the web site.
Jan 10, 2006 09:10 AM|harisahmed|LINK
The only web.config file is under the dotnetnuke/website folder. Folder permissions have been verified for network service and aspnet. I noticed two other accounts in the installation documents: iis_wpg and internet guest account. Neither of these accounts
are listed in my security permissions box and check name button doesn't return them either.
Jan 11, 2006 09:47 AM|harisahmed|LINK
I found other posts for people that seem to be having similar problems with a fresh install of DNN of version 4.0.2. One solution that seems to work is not installing the normal source files, but using the starter kit version. I followed the same installation
instructions but the starter kit version of DNN actually installed and started without a hitch.
Does anyone know if there is a problem with the standard installation file that might be missing a setting or something which might becausing this problem?
Jan 11, 2006 01:22 PM|harisahmed|LINK
ok, maybe I spoke too soon. I was trying out some of the functionality or the starter kit when I noticed I was missing most of the modules that were supposed to be installed. Since the starter kit seemed to work for me, I tried deleting the database and
original folder that I installed DNN on. I then ran into the same issues I mentioned above while trying to install to a defferent directory. Eventually, I managed to get the installer to run without errors (I think I unzipped the files into a different folder).
Now I'm getting multiple errors on the website itself in each of the panels. It looks as though none of the modules installed, even though I saw the messages saying the modules were being installed. I can log into the site, and it allows me to see the error
messages in more detail:
Error: Links is currently unavailable.
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: connectionString ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: connectionString
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, String spName, Object parameterValues) at DotNetNuke.Modules.Links.SqlDataProvider.GetLinks(Int32 ModuleId) at DotNetNuke.Modules.Links.LinkController.GetLinks(Int32 ModuleId)
at DotNetNuke.Modules.Links.Links.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
I can also see all of the modules in the add module drop-down now. Any ideas what might be wrong now?
Jan 12, 2006 10:58 AM|harisahmed|LINK
Finally got the starterkit to work properly. For anyone that may be running into the same types of problems with the kit I figured out why it works in my case:
First I re-read this post: http://forums.asp.net/1114393/ShowPost.aspx
I then wanted to smack myself silly for not noticing this sooner. When downloading the starterkit, by default it wants to download the .vsi file as a compressed folder zip. I selected *.* as the file type and low and behold, the built in installer worked.
I modified the web.config file to use my local SQL server.
Used VS express to compile using ctrl-f5 and this time no compile errors or missing modules. (I'm guessing that there was still a cache issue when the site first ran because I still got the errors on all modules, but after logging into the site everything