Last post Dec 14, 2005 10:37 AM by electromorph
Nov 18, 2005 03:32 AM|electromorph|LINK
Nov 18, 2005 10:32 AM|shware|LINK
Nov 21, 2005 01:01 AM|electromorph|LINK
Do you get a "Discussion" menu option when you log in as "friend"? This is the acid test. If so, the problem may be with my conection...
Nov 21, 2005 08:14 AM|shware|LINK
Nov 21, 2005 12:18 PM|ecktwo|LINK
Nov 21, 2005 12:34 PM|shware|LINK
Nov 24, 2005 04:33 AM|electromorph|LINK
Hi Shawn & eckTwo. Really, thanks for the feedback - I don't think I'd ever have thought of trying a different browser! I wouldn't be so surprised if it was the other way round, but it's unusual for Explorer to be the one to fail.
I think I may have to re-install DotNetNuke. If possible, I might use the opportunity to migrate to version 2.0. The most valuable thing on this site is the discussion and the user names - does anyone know if it is possible to migrate discussions & users
from one DNN site to another?
Nov 24, 2005 11:05 AM|ecktwo|LINK
Nov 28, 2005 09:40 AM|electromorph|LINK
Dec 14, 2005 10:37 AM|electromorph|LINK
Well we have a happy ending to this! To close this story off, I ended up totally regenerating my site. But to no avail! So the problem was clearly not to do with the site!
In the end it turned out to do with the fact that the site was re-directed from one ISP (which held the domain name:
www.mellissavenue.co.uk) to another (which held the site
http://mellissavenue.co.uk.i.seekdotnet.com). I've not got round to deducing what is wrong with this redirection (it's worked for years) - presumably they've made some change!
Anyway I got round the problem by doing the redirect myself in HTML. ie. I made
www.mellissavenue.co.uk point at a real directory (instead of pointing directly at
http://mellissavenue.co.uk.i.seekdotnet.com), and put the following HTML in the file "default.htm" in that directory:
<!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->
<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="1; URL=http://mellissavenue.co.uk.i.seekdotnet.com">
And this now works fine.
So all the transferring was a waste of time! At least I have a slightly better organized site as a result though... and some education - i.e. a good understanding of data structures I had to transfer by hand. And knowledge of other browsers. I've now
learned to do is to check my site with 3 browsers after making a change: Opera, Firefox & Explorer.
I've found the following differences:
Issue 3 is now fixed - I'll post more to this thread if I find solutions to 1,2 & 4.
Thanks for all the suggestions!