Home/ASP.NET Forums/Retired Forums/DotNetNuke (RETIRED)/DotNetNuke and the web server in Visual Web Developer Express

DotNetNuke and the web server in Visual Web Developer Express RSS

28 replies

Last post Jan 21, 2006 07:27 PM by tao_muon

Kirk
  • ak1

ak1

None

0 Points

12 Posts

Re: DotNetNuke and the web server in Visual Web Developer Express

Jun 10, 2005 11:41 PM|ak1|LINK

I know I can run it, but as I said I don't have it.

• cniknet

cniknet

46 Points

1915 Posts

Jun 11, 2005 12:02 AM|cniknet|LINK

This is discussed in the VWD FAQ as quoted below:

Does Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition support ASP.NET 1.1?
    <div id=a_ea1c321f-6155-42ec-a776-340d7bef031b style="DISPLAY: block">No. Visual Web Developer Express Edition, like Visual Studio 2005 is designed to target a specific version of the .NET Framework and ASP.NET—in this case ASP.NET 2.0. While it is theoretically possible to use Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition to build ASP.NET 1.1 applications, it would be difficult because you would have to forcibly avoid using any new ASP.NET 2.0 features.

Going by this, since DotNetNuke presently works only with ASP.Net 1.1, I think you will need to install IIS.

Nik</div>
    Nik Kalyani
    Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
  • Bunce

Bunce

10 Points

414 Posts

Jun 11, 2005 12:19 AM|Bunce|LINK

ak1

I know I can run it, but as I said I don't have it.

How can you "run" it, if you don't "have" it?

You do know you can quickly install it (through Add/Remove Programs) if you have one of the above OS installed? Much easier and quicker than trying to get your other method working..

• isomies

isomies

None

0 Points

63 Posts

Jun 11, 2005 03:44 AM|isomies|LINK

If you can run IIS then you should install it. There is no extra license fee for IIS.
    www.obrienit.se
  • alexdresko

alexdresko

110 Points

484 Posts

Jun 11, 2005 11:28 AM|alexdresko|LINK

To be fair, he DOESN'T have (and can't get) IIS if he doesn't have XP Professional.
    Alex Dresko
    I'm not a player, I just code a lot.
  • stratcr

stratcr

None

0 Points

5 Posts

Jan 20, 2006 11:22 AM|stratcr|LINK

you can use the smartdnnmodule by codefreak at snowcovered.com

http://www.wwwcoder.com/main/parentid/224/site/6108/68/default.aspx

• packrat

packrat

None

0 Points

35 Posts

Jan 20, 2006 12:47 PM|packrat|LINK

ok...I posted in another thread something similar to this issue.  I didn't know this thread was out there.  I have VWD running and have IIS installed.  I don't want to use the VWD web server, I want to use IIS.  As of right now, the only way I can launch my intranet site is by having VWD running and launching it from within the application.  I want to launch it while VWD is not running (don't want this dependency).  But, I still want to use VWD to view, make changes, modify, customize, etc... DNN.  Do I now just go back to IIS and add a new virtual directory that points to my DNN folder and treat it as a new website within IIS?  Any help would be appreciated.  By the way, Jeff  from zina.com has been more than patient to answer a lot of the IIS questions on these boards. The guys got the patience of Job.  He's inspire me to order some training videos from Train Signal specifically targeting IIS/DNS.  Maybe, just maybe someday I will  be able to answer someone elses IIS post.

Packrat

• adefwebserver

adefwebserve...

578 Points

1204 Posts

MVP

Jan 20, 2006 01:52 PM|adefwebserver|LINK

packrat

Do I now just go back to IIS and add a new virtual directory that points to my DNN folder and treat it as a new website within IIS? 

• Go into IIS server configuration
  • I Right-Click on "Default Web Site" and select "Virtual Directory"
  • Enter "DotNetNuke4" and click "Next"
  • browse to the location of the website
  • Accept the defaults and click "Next"
  • Right-click on the website that was just created and select "Properties"
  • Select the "ASP.NET" tab and change the "ASP.NET version" to "2.0" then click Apply

• Open Light Group

LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com
    | ADefWebserver.com
  • packrat

packrat

None

0 Points

35 Posts

Jan 20, 2006 02:39 PM|packrat|LINK

Hi Michael,

I took these steps when I originally installed DNN 4.2.  This virtual directory is already created.  I cannot get the portal to load when I use the url http://localhost/DotNetNuke ( I installed the install version so there is no sub website directory) but it comes back with a page cannot be displayed error.  I have the DNN folder located on a D drive volume on my server so it is not sitting in the inetpub folder.  But I thought that was what a virtual direcotry was for, to point to the physical folder.  I am able to access my portal with the built in web server that is packaged with VWD, but am not able to access it when VWD is shut down even though I have IIS running with the virtual directory created.  Am I typing in the wrong url?

Packrat

• Sellitna

Sellitna

None

0 Points

38 Posts

Jan 20, 2006 03:09 PM|Sellitna|LINK

If you haven't already started working on the site (or if you are happy to start from scratch) then the best bet might be to create a new DNN project from the Starter Kit and when asked where to locate it select http: (and then set the URL to locahost/foldername) rather than file system. This will configure the VWD project to use IIS rather than the built-in web server, so that when you are working in VWD you will be able to launch the IIS-powered web site directly. If it is configured as a file system project in VWD then it is still going to launch the built-in server if you try to access the site (e.g., Ctrl-F5) through the IDE.
  • adefwebserver

adefwebserve...

578 Points

1204 Posts

MVP

Jan 20, 2006 04:41 PM|adefwebserver|LINK

packrat

...it comes back with a page cannot be displayed error. 

Go into IIS settings

• Right-Click on the DotNetNuke web
  • Go to properties
  • Click on the Documents Tab
  • Select the box "Enable Default Document"
  • Ensure that default.aspx is in the list. if not add it

• Open Light Group

| ADefWebserver.com
  • adefwebserver

adefwebserve...

578 Points

1204 Posts

MVP

Jan 20, 2006 04:45 PM|adefwebserver|LINK

Sellitna

...so that when you are working in VWD you will be able to launch the IIS-powered web site directly.

This reasoning is sound but the problem is:

• DotNetNuke acts funny if it's not a "File Based Web".
    • Configuring Debugging to work can be a pain

Open Light Group

| ADefWebserver.com
  • packrat

packrat

None

0 Points

35 Posts

Jan 20, 2006 06:21 PM|packrat|LINK

Let me try to explain a little more. I'm accessing my portal via localhost and everything has been fine.  My routine has been to open up VWD, double-click my DNN website project (even though I know it's not called a project in VWD) which opens up the site directory in the right hand pane, navigate to the default.aspx page in my child portal, right-click and choose view in browser.  At this point a balloon appears in the bottom right task bar that notes that ASP NET Development Server Port 1038 is running http://localhost:1038/DotNetNuke4. The portal then loads with the following url http://localhost:1038/DotNetNuke4/Default.aspx?alias=localhost:1038/DotNetNuke4/eaglenet which is the child portal I have created.  Everything works fine in this development environment.  But this requires that VWD be running.  I installed DNN according to the install documentation that was specific to the following development environment:

ASP.NET 2.0/VWD 2005 Express/SQL 2005 Express

In that install doc /I went through the routine of creating a virtual directory in IIS for the DNN installation and configured it accordingly.  I read and did all of Michael's suggestions and read and re-read a lot of post concerning alias configs and IIS configs.  When I shut down VWD and open up a browser and put in http://localhost/DotNetNuke4/default.aspx in an attempt to reach the default portal I get a page cannot be displayed.  I am just developing an intranet site and nothing more.  I don't want the site to be dependent on the VWD web server, I just want to use the program to manage other aspects of DNN.  I'm not even at the point of trying to see the site from other machines on the lan because:

A) I don't even know where to start configuring the Cassini web server settings and don't even want to use it.

B) Without it, I can't even access the portal on the development machine.

I'll be vulnerabal here and give the seasoned vets some fodder to roast me with:

I have 2 DNS servers in the domain and my development server is a member server only and DNS is not installed as a service.  I am working feverishly to get my mind around DNS/IIS concepts.  I only mention this because I don't know if it makes a hill of beans or not if DNS is running as a service on the development machine.

I dream of DotNetNuke...I refuse to give up.

Packrat

• adefwebserver

adefwebserve...

578 Points

1204 Posts

MVP

Jan 20, 2006 09:12 PM|adefwebserver|LINK

packrat

In that install doc /I went through the routine of creating a virtual directory in IIS for the DNN installation and configured it accordingly.  I read and did all of Michael's suggestions and read and re-read a lot of post concerning alias configs and IIS configs.  When I shut down VWD and open up a browser and put in http://localhost/DotNetNuke4/default.aspx in an attempt to reach the default portal I get a page cannot be displayed. 

Setting the default page to "default.aspx" (see my post above) didn't fix this? Another thing is to configure permissions on the directory. If you're using WindowsXP then you need to open up the directory in Windows Explorer and right-click on the directory and go to permissions and set the NETWORK account like this:

Open Light Group

| ADefWebserver.com
  • packrat

packrat

None

0 Points

35 Posts

Jan 20, 2006 09:30 PM|packrat|LINK

Hi Michael,

just more info...I'm using w2k3.  All of the things you mentioned have been done.  Like I said, everything is hunky dorey on the development server as long as VWD is running.  Shut it down, open up a browser, insert url, and "page cannot be displayed."  I assume this happens because when I shut down VWD it shuts down its packaged web server (Cassini) and at that point I can't get the portal to load with the url and have to assume that I have:

IIS misconfigured for this directory

Any necessary DNS records not within parameters

All of the above

Still stuck for now. Got some training videos coming on IIS/DNS.  Hope this gets me over the hump.

Packrat

• packrat

packrat

None

0 Points

35 Posts

Jan 21, 2006 06:39 PM|packrat|LINK

still needing help here.  Still trying to understand if VWD's built in server is somehow causing my problems or causing some kind of conflict with IIS.  Unable to load portal when VWD is not running.  Any help or a referral to another board would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Packrat

• tao_muon

tao_muon

None

0 Points

159 Posts

Jan 21, 2006 07:03 PM|tao_muon|LINK

Sounds like a port redirection problem since you said that the alias is http://localhost:1038... and IIS will try to serve on port 80 unless it's configured differently.

Kirk
  • packrat

packrat

None

0 Points

35 Posts

Jan 21, 2006 07:20 PM|packrat|LINK

Hi Kirk,

How would I get DNN running in IIS?  Are you talking about a new installation.  Where is an install doc that I could use to get an install going without using one of the standard products such as VS or VWD? Also, I have checked and re-checked all of the enabled doc settings and they're fine.  I can't believe someone else is not running into this same issue that I've written about when the core team released an install document that specifically targeted or lead me to my current development environment. Someone please just tell me:

If VWD's built in web server and IIS have nothing to do with each other.

I must disable VWD's web server which keeps launching my site fine on localhost:1038.

If I've missed something absolutely obvious in configuring IIS in order to see my portal on localhost on my development machine, which if I ever get that far, I will work on seeing it across the lan.

I'm frustrated...but I really appreciate your reply.

Packrat

• tao_muon

tao_muon

None

0 Points

159 Posts

Jan 21, 2006 07:27 PM|tao_muon|LINK

Well, I edited my original post so it's gone, but that wasn't long ago so I remember.

Copy all the DNN files to a folder, edit the web.config file as necessary, add the directory as a virtual directory in IIS and give it the proper permissions (for networkservice, etc.) then try to browse to it. Once you get it working in IIS, then add the project to VWD. If the vitual directory name doesn't match the original DNN project name (dotnetnuke) then you may get errors.

Kirk
  • ‹ Previous Thread|Next Thread ›