Last post Apr 07, 2005 01:32 PM by tinky_lou
Apr 07, 2005 01:32 PM|tinky_lou|LINK
I'm about to embark on the design of a custom Users section for one of my DNN site. Quick overview of requirements:
* Custom fields for user registration, regarding preferences, etc.
* Specific validation on certain fields - some lookup from co. specific databases, other have length validations, etc.
* Additional relationships for user, one user can have may vehicles, and can add/delete these, users can add their stories & comments, etc.
* Ideally, admin can add user profile fields on the fly, but if that's not possible, I can live with it. I may later want to combine promotions responded to, etc. to the reporting side.
* some users will belong to a special club, so there will be more fields and relationships applicable to them than to others.
So, before I start - any comments on best practices for doing this in DNN?
I have written a simpler version of this, and in this version, I had 2 modules: one for an new member application, and one for an administrator to manage the user applications. When the administrator approved, I added to user to the users table, added his
roles, etc. However, I've not yet done the page where the user edits his own information. I was thinking of just using the Admin page, and hiding the admin-only fields.
I have seen the UCanUse module on Snowcovered, but I don't think that allows the additional relationships, and I couldn't see how advanced it database integration and validation options were, from the writeup. If anyone has used this and can comment, I'll
appreciate that also.