Last post Nov 21, 2018 10:06 PM by tvb2727
Nov 20, 2018 03:24 PM|tvb2727|LINK
I am having an issue where when I sent to a Verizon phone number that it is appending [Attachment(s) removed] at the end of EVERY message.
If I send via smtp client in .net then, everything works fine.
I have contacted my email service and they do not see anything different from the code base when sending via the API and smtp client.
The only difference I see is the IP address where they are received from.
I've also contacted Verizon and explained everything to them. They are looking into it as well, but not sure how far I'll get with them.
Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
Nov 21, 2018 02:23 AM|Ackerly Xu|LINK
I'm sorry,because you are using email service api that we don't have condition to test,I suggest that you could provide your code to your email service to see whether there is something wrong in your code or in their api.
Nov 21, 2018 10:06 PM|tvb2727|LINK
I think the issue is I was not using @vzwpix.com but was using @vtext.com for sending emails to text messages from Verizon. I guess their code on their end is different for some reason. If I send to @vzwpix.com for Verizon it is working now. It
puts the subject in bold text and DOES NOT include the [attachment(s) removed] anymore. I still do not really understand why I can send it to vtext via the smtp client way and not the API way.
I'll change my code to use @vzwpix.com for Verizon phone numbers.
Another issue was: I tried @vzwpix.com before (for Verizon support), but I had an underlying override on sending the text messages to a @vtext for testing purposes and I think that was covering up the issue when I was testing @vzwpix.com.