Last post Aug 10, 2016 09:26 AM by Yohann Lu
Aug 08, 2016 03:42 PM|airic82|LINK
Our public site is an MVC site and we're using an SSL for all traffic to it.
We added WebAPI functionality to the MVC site in order to return feeds and data for external applications like iTunes and our Podcast. I can load the feed just fine in a browser:
However, whenever I try to use a feed validator RSS or iTunes (feedvalidator.org and
http://castfeedvalidator.com), I'm getting an error.
FeedValidator.org is telling me "The read operation timed out (SSLError; misconfigured server?)"
CastFeedValidator.com is telling me "Error resolving feed address."
So this seems to be an SSL error? I know both of these tools work because - when I try to validate the existing feed from our old site (http://feeds.ccchapel.com/Feeds/iTunes-Video) - they both work.
This is all new territory for me and I'm unsure what to even try to do to figure this out.
Thanks in advance for any help / advice!
Aug 09, 2016 02:39 AM|Yohann Lu|LINK
You can read some articles about SSL in Web API.
Web API Thoughts 2 of 3 - Working with HTTPS:
Working with SSL in Web API:
Then, read some FEED Validator documents to check whether there have some errors.
Aug 09, 2016 01:32 PM|airic82|LINK
Thanks, Yohann. I've looked over those resources, but everything is working server-side (as far as I can tell). Making the request myself in a browser returns everything as expected.
The bindings are correct in IIS and the site and feeds are visible when browsing. That's why I'm completely lost here. Everything works until I try a feed validator. Then I get an error. The help docs on FeedValidator weren't much help either. All it tells
me is it's an IO error, but nothing more on what might be the cause:
Your feed couldn't be validated because there was a problem downloading it from the web server. You should try to diagnose this using a web browser, and make sure that the URL you supplied resolves to an accessible file.
But I know the file is accessible. For some reason, whenever a feed validation tool (also happening in FeedBurner) tries to fetch the feed it's getting an "Internal Server Error" message.
So ya... I'm really not certain what to try next. IIS is configured properly. The site and feeds are browsable through https. I am not manually checking for SSH in my mark up.
If anyone has any other thoughts, that'd be great.
Aug 09, 2016 02:01 PM|airic82|LINK
Also, I can mention that, when I observe the response behavior in Firefox's Web Console, I'm not seeing an Internal Server Error. Again, it seems to only happen with feed validators.
Aug 09, 2016 05:34 PM|airic82|LINK
Okay... I have a bit more information, but not a lot.
Our web server sits externally, on a separate internet connection and outside our AD Domain, but for some reason, the page works any computer using our internet connection.
When I tested going to the feed from an outside source, then I actually saw the error.
I'll keep trying to debug more now that I'm able to produce the error.
Aug 09, 2016 08:03 PM|airic82|LINK
External error resolved, but validation problem still exists. Browsers can pull the feed just fine. I'm really lost...
Aug 10, 2016 09:26 AM|Yohann Lu|LINK
From your error message, I hope some of the solved questions from the following link can help you: