Last post Nov 22, 2015 07:44 AM by tmorton
Nov 22, 2015 07:44 AM|tmorton|LINK
On November 21, 2015 we deployed some major updates to the ASP.NET website, including:
1. Introduction of oAuth - In addition to a Microsoft account, you can now use Google, Facebook, and Twitter as well.
2. Styling refresh - The updates here are all visual. There has been no change in information architecture or how the website works. The responsive design is now more fluid and should work better at all widths.
3. Identicons (used for site members who have not uploaded an avatar) are now replaced by 1-2 characters, derived from the username, in a colored box. This is similar to what Visual Studio Online does.
4. Helpfulness ratings on content - This was actually already live on the website and is also a part of this update.
5. We migrated the entirety of the ASP.NET website to Azure web apps (essentially moving to PaaS from the IaaS environment we've been on for the past 2 years). This has involved migrating the databases to SQL Azure from SQL Server, web jobs for backgrounds
tasks, Azure CDN, and other updates. There will be a whitepaper of this migration put together, similar to the Microsoft .NET Community Website Migration Case Study done when we first
moved to Azure.