Last post Apr 29, 2015 08:12 AM by PGChoudhury
Apr 09, 2015 11:12 AM|PGChoudhury|LINK
Hello everybody. I'm stuck with a problem here. It's got all entangled and am facing dificulty in figuring this out. I hope this forum will help me straighten out the errors and get my project working again. Here goes:
My solution has 7 projects. Needless to mention they have certain dependencies among each other::
All was going fine. Something happened in between which has rendered my whole project unstable, disfunctional. What 'exactly' caused this I don't know so I'll mention some of the things I had done prior to it becoming disfunctional.
I installed a package 'Html Agility Pack' to my project ECOMSystems.UI [mvc4 web], but while installing, it also got mistakenly installed in the WCFService and the ECOMSystems.Services.EntityServices.Common too [I forgot to uncheck them, while working in a
hurry]. When I noticed, I went ahead to uninstall it from the two unnecessary projects and did. In the 5th project I have 'Resources' folder and three .resx files. I made several entries in each of them. Also went to the .designer.cs files of each of them
and altered the protection levels to 'public', so that I could use the 'ResourceManager' and its methods. After that, when I went to compile entire solution I discover something problematic has happened. I get these errors:
* Metadata file 'D:\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems.System.Diverse\bin\Debug\ECOMSystems.System.Diverse.dll' could not be found D:\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems.Data.Framework\CSC ECOMSystems.Data.Framework
* Metadata file 'D:\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems.Data.Framework\bin\Debug\ECOMSystems.Data.Framework.dll' could not be found D:\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems.DataAccess.Common\CSC ECOMSystems.DataAccess.Common
* Metadata file 'D:\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems.DataAccess.Common\bin\Debug\ECOMSystems.DataAccess.Common.dll' could not be found D:\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems.Services.EntityServices.Common\CSC ECOMSystems.Services.EntityServices.Common
* Metadata file 'D:\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems.Services.EntityServices.Common\bin\Debug\ECOMSystems.Services.EntityServices.Common.dll' could not be found D:\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems\WCFService\CSC WCFService
* Metadata file 'D:\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems.Services.EntityServices.Common\bin\Debug\ECOMSystems.Services.EntityServices.Common.dll' could not be found D:\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems.UI\CSC ECOMSystems.UI
* Metadata file 'D:\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems.System.Diverse\bin\Debug\ECOMSystems.System.Diverse.dll' could not be found D:\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems\ECOMSystems.UI\CSC ECOMSystems.UI
I have done some expiremental attempts like deleting the 'obj'; cleaning entire solution; cleaning each project individually; building each project individually; try to build and rebuild solution; removing the dependencies among the projects and add them
afresh. Nothing works. None at all. Don't know which way to go, how to rectify this problem. Is there something that needs to be done in the csproj file? I cannot tell for sure. So I haven't touched it yet.
Kindly help me out. I really need to get this back on the road.
Thanks to everybody in advance.
And a belated Happy Easter.
Apr 22, 2015 11:53 AM|PGChoudhury|LINK
Is there no one who can learn my scenario and help me out with a good, solid, reliable solution.
I am depending on you my forum co-members for this. Kindly help me get this fixed straight.
Apr 27, 2015 03:50 PM|atconway|LINK
Typically when one gets into a tangled mess like this where something added/removed/etc. causes the entire project to have issues, it's best to rely on source control and roll back to a stable version. At this point you should have a buildable solution and
you can slowly integrate back in the updates and find out which one might be the culprit. A lot of those errors you posted most likely do not represent the root issue, but rather just incomplete builds not being able to find .dlls because the build never completed.
NuGet packages that are missing and need restored can sometimes too lead to non-successful builds as well.
My best recommendation is to rollback to your last commit that successfully built and then work in the new changes. Depending on your source provider (TFS, Git, etc.) you can 'Shelve' or 'Stash' changes 1st
before rolling back code (so you don't loose anything important), and then use the shelved/stashed code once at a stable point.
TFS Shelvset: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181403.aspx
Git Stash: http://git-scm.com/book/en/v1/Git-Tools-Stashing
Apr 29, 2015 08:12 AM|PGChoudhury|LINK
Thanks for replying.
Actually, those are the only errors I have at this point. No coding error or others. And it's really unfortunate, but for a project, the size of this one I'm working on, I have no source control; damn me. My work environment comprises of only 1 single pc that's
all. It is the master, it is the slave, it's the dev machine, test machine, host machine everything.
I'm looking into the build order to identify something. Barring 2, dependencies are there between the other projects of this solution. So naturally those two build okay as usual. But the dependent ones, with inter-links don't.
What I don't understand, is that WHY SUDDENLY, all of a sudden, everything got UNHAPPY. And I cannot proceed with my work any more.