Last post Sep 21, 2012 09:28 AM by clevesteve
Aug 30, 2012 02:33 PM|clevesteve|LINK
Hi everyone, not sure if this is in the right forum.
I'm creating a web application using MS Visual Studio '10 incorporating third-party software which generates .NET chart controls. I created the 'Bin' folder in my website's directory and added the reference to the .dll and .xml files inside the Bin folder.
MSVS recognizes the Bin folder as a special folder and colors it gray instead of manilla color.
My webpages include the line (after page language tag)
<%@ Register Assembly="thedllname" Namespace="TheAppNamespace" TagPrefix="chart" %>
and my codebehind starts with
Everything works fine on the MS development preview server. The charts generate as they are supposed to, but when I try to navigate to the webpage URL, I get the following message:
An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.
Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'thedllname' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
The website is set up such that I connect to edit it using a pathway:
but the URLs for the webpages on the server are formatted as:
Does anyone have any experience with this type of issue? Or can you recommend a better place to ask this question? Thanks.
Aug 30, 2012 04:52 PM|clevesteve|LINK
Looking further, can anyone explain how I can edit the <runtime> <assemblyBinding> <probing> tags of web.config to look in an additional directory for .dlls? Thanks.
Aug 31, 2012 03:59 AM|Ruchira|LINK
Looking further, can anyone explain how I can edit the <runtime> <assemblyBinding> <probing> tags of web.config to look in an additional directory for .dlls?
See the below thread.
Please 'Mark as Answer' if this post helps you
Aug 31, 2012 10:35 AM|clevesteve|LINK
Thank you for the direction. Unfortunately, this has still not solved my original problem as I'd hoped it would. Still getting the Parser error... unable to find the dll in my Bin folder.
Sep 21, 2012 09:28 AM|clevesteve|LINK
The problem ended up being that the way our IT set up my access to the web server resulted in the root directory relative heirarchy of the application in production being different than the root directory relative heirarchy on my locally-spawned development
server. I didn't have access to what was ultimately the production application root directory. Once I figured this out I just let IT know and they allowed me to place the dll in the folder above my access.
Mods, please close this thread. I don't want to mark my own post as answer.