ASP.NET Forums/General ASP.NET/Data Scaffolding using ASP.NET Dynamic Data/Beginner tryinto to use Dynamic Data in current projects...Where do I...

Beginner tryinto to use Dynamic Data in current projects...Where do I add the Metadata info? [Answered]RSS

6 replies

Last post Jan 18, 2011 06:46 PM by sjnaughton

• maximusmd maximusmd

117 Points

333 Posts

Re: Beginner tryinto to use Dynamic Data in current projects...Where do I add the Metadata info?

Jan 03, 2011 12:41 PM|maximusmd|LINK

so based on your example above, if I use the ObjectDataSource control, what class would I use for TypeName?
    Is it possible to have just 1 class I can use for the DB calls and data validation?

If you are aware of a good link, doc, sample app which shows you how to modify your current application to take advantage of the validation feature in dynamic data please let me know.

Thank you!

Max
  • sjnaughton sjnaughton

All-Star

17915 Points

5679 Posts

MVP

Re: Beginner tryinto to use Dynamic Data in current projects...Where do I add the Metadata info?

Jan 04, 2011 11:44 AM|sjnaughton|LINK

Hi Maximusmd, if you are not using Linq to SQL or Entity Framework then you only option is to use WCF RIA Services and the DomainService as this is the only option supported by DD at the moment. Note Domain Service requires IQueryable as a minimum from your DAO.

Duplicate

Dynamic Data 4

See my blog C# Bits | Twitter @sjnaughton
    Always seeking an elegant solution.
  • sjnaughton sjnaughton

All-Star

17915 Points

5679 Posts

MVP

Jan 04, 2011 11:45 AM|sjnaughton|LINK

Hi Maximusmd, if you are not using Linq to SQL or Entity Framework then you only option is to use WCF RIA Services and the DomainService as this is the only option supported by DD at the moment. Note Domain Service requires IQueryable as a minimum from your DAL.

Dynamic Data 4

• maximusmd maximusmd

117 Points

333 Posts

Jan 18, 2011 06:40 PM|maximusmd|LINK

Gee I am so confused. So I buy this book which teaches you to build your own database classes and use your own customized store procedures for adding, deleting, editing data... then you realize that building your own database classes is really boring.

Well... I have watched Dynamic data and MVC videos which made me even more confused. I just wanted to find a better way to build my database classes automatically, take advantage of the dynamic data metadata (for data validation) and use my own store procedures since we customize them a lot.

So what to use? delete my custom built database classes and add a LINQ to SQL file? ... 

Thanks 

Max
  • sjnaughton sjnaughton

All-Star

17915 Points

5679 Posts

MVP

Jan 18, 2011 06:46 PM|sjnaughton|LINK

maximusmd

So what to use? delete my custom built database classes and add a LINQ to SQL file? ... 

That would be a yes [:)] or you can use EF if you are using DD4 and .Net 4.

Dynamic Data 4

• ‹ Previous Thread|Next Thread ›