Last post Jun 30, 2010 02:41 PM by funluckykitty
Jun 14, 2010 02:20 PM|ph08|LINK
I am running Visual Studio 2008 on a Vista-business 64-bit system Virtual Machine setup, which I access via Remote Desktop Connection from my home system.
When I try to publish a website on my virtual machine, I get the following message:
"Error 1 An error occurred loading a configuration file: Failed to start monitoring changes...the network BIOS command limit has been reached. For more information on this error, please refer to Microsoft knowledge base article 810886"
I have read the KB article and implemented the specified changes, but I still cannot publish my website. However, when I work directly on my local computer (i.e., not on the Virtual PC) I can publish the website without any problems. Also, on my Virtual
PC system, I can publish simple websites without any problem--I just can't publish my more complicated website on the Virtual PC.
I have looked at another forum, http://forums.asp.net/t/897261.aspx?PageIndex=1, but none of the posts there provided information that could solve the problem for me.
Any suggestions, anyone? It seems this issue has been around for awhile.
Jun 16, 2010 12:43 PM|iocreations|LINK
Did you try the resolution on
It should fix that error
Jun 16, 2010 01:24 PM|ph08|LINK
Yes, I tried that. No success.
Jun 29, 2010 11:03 AM|funluckykitty|LINK
Argh.. I'm having this error now too. Tried this, and it didn't fix it.
Jun 30, 2010 01:16 PM|funluckykitty|LINK
I consolidated a bunch of my .aspx into a couple folders, instead of the many folders I was using. This worked for me. I can now debug locally while having the pages and folders on the dev server. Crazy.. but it worked for me.
Jun 30, 2010 01:32 PM|ph08|LINK
Yes, I have lots of aspx pages in many folders (directories) as well.
I don't like to think about consolidating them, however.
Jun 30, 2010 02:41 PM|funluckykitty|LINK
I completely understand... And, not believing it would really work, I made a copy of the project on the server (just in case). Then, I went and deleted a few folders/pages, and tried to debug/step thru locally. As soon as I did the delete, I was able to debug/step
with no Network Bios Error. To double check, I brought back all the folders and pages, and tried to debug/step thru locally, and the error returned.
In the end, I lumped some of the more basic pages into a "Maintenance" folder. For me, that got rid of 5 folders for me, and I'm back to being able to debug. Other smaller projects with just a couple folders all build/debug without the error.
I spent a lot of time messing with the registry edits suggested in the kb, changing security/permissions, UNC share, Application Pools, and even uninstalling VS 2008 and reinstalling. The only thing that worked for me was reducing the number of folders.
So, the 15 minutes I spent reorganizing was well worth it.
Thinking back to when the error started, well, it was when I added a couple new areas to the website, and the first thing I did was to add the folders for those new areas. :-)