Last post Jun 05, 2010 02:42 AM by bekker
Jun 03, 2010 07:07 AM|bekker|LINK
My previous development PC was running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit and Visual Web Developer 2008 Express. My new PC has Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and Visual Web Developer 2010 Express. My Solution contains 3 projects. The Solution has been converted
from VWD 2008 to 2010 fine. There are no errors when I build either of the projects. One of them is not working though. When I start debugging, my default browser does not open (problem 1). When I browse the the website manually, pages of that specific project
do not load, and I receive "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" errors (problem 2).
I've used the local IIS as well as the Visual Studio Development Server, but it makes no difference.
The website is a combination of classic ASP and ASP.NET 3.5.
It does not seem database-related, as one of the project can access the local SQL Server 2005 without any problems.
I have no idea what can cause this. Is there anyone who knows what to do?
Jun 03, 2010 10:22 AM|alaa9jo|LINK
Take a look at this link[specially on configuration at IIS7/7.5 since windows 7 uses IIS7],it has all the changes in asp.net 4.0:
Also check on the target framework of each project[right click on each project->properties->Application] and don't use framework 4.0 as a start,check that your projects are working fine then target them to use fw4.0
Jun 03, 2010 10:23 AM|bekker|LINK
Ok, my fault. Problem 2 has been solved by modifying the machine name which was hardcoded in one class to differentiate between some local and production settings. It obviously needed to be set to the name of the new PC. Then I received new errors which
were solved by correcting an old connection string name to the new one (i renamed it some weeks ago but the old name appeared again after converting the Solution).
I still can't get the browser to open automatically when I start debugging (problem 1). Google Chrome is the default browser according to "File - Browse with". I tried IE but that does not work either. I tried setting a specific start page in the Project
properties, but no luck. Starting with the "current page" does not work either. This is not critical as I can start the browser manually, it's just annoying
Thanks Ala'a Alnajjar! I'll still review your link.
Jun 03, 2010 10:39 AM|alaa9jo|LINK
Go to Visual Studio Command prompt then type: devenv /setup
Jun 03, 2010 12:34 PM|bekker|LINK
I'm not sure there is a command prompt available in the Express edition. Can't find it. What should the command do?
Jun 04, 2010 03:20 AM|bekker|LINK
My browser still won't open when I start debugging. Also, breakpoints don't work: "The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document".
I have <compilation debug="true"> in web.config. I wonder if these two problems are related?
Jun 05, 2010 02:42 AM|bekker|LINK
Solved! After hours of playing with the Windows Hosts file, disabling Windows Firewall, virus protection, etc, this seems to be related to the tool converting the Solution from VWD 2008 to 2010. I have 3 Projects in my Solution. One Project is the "actual
website" named "www", the others are supporting classes (a forum and SqlTableProfileProvider). In my original VWD 2008 Solution, the "www" Project was set as the startup project. The startup project setting appeared to have changed during the conversion: it
was set to one of the supporting projects. Therefor, it did not start the browser and breakpoints did not work.
So, the solution here: right click on your Solution, click Properties. Under "Common properties" - "Startup project", select either the correct "Single startup project" or add it to the list of "Multiple startup projects".