Home/ASP.NET Forums/General ASP.NET/Installation and Setup/Ngen fails due to insufficient resources (HRESULT: 0x800705AA) when t...

Ngen fails due to insufficient resources (HRESULT: 0x800705AA) when trying to install MVC 1 [Answered]RSS

7 replies

Last post Dec 14, 2009 06:59 AM by OleFrost

• integrasol

integrasol

Contributor

7452 Points

2340 Posts

Re: Ngen fails due to insufficient resources (HRESULT: 0x800705AA) when trying to install MVC 1

Dec 11, 2009 08:23 AM|integrasol|LINK

Is your system (Windows, Visual Studio, and the .NET Framework) up-to-date with SPs and patches? I guess what I'm asking is if Windows Update is run frequently and updates applied as they're available?

Do you have any anti-virus software running, that you can temporarily disable to see if that brings anything?

Thanks
    Carsten
    Please click Mark as Answer if this post is of help to you. :-)

My Blog
  • OleFrost

OleFrost

None

0 Points

5 Posts

Re: Ngen fails due to insufficient resources (HRESULT: 0x800705AA) when trying to install MVC 1

Dec 11, 2009 08:31 AM|OleFrost|LINK

Yes, the system is fully updated. I actually pulled this weeks patches and rebooted just before starting the MVC install.

However the 3 relating to some extra security failed and i decided they were not needed in my setup.

I am using McAfee, but it was like almost everything else fully disabled when i were troubleshooting in safe mode.

• integrasol

integrasol

Contributor

7452 Points

2340 Posts

Dec 11, 2009 09:28 AM|integrasol|LINK

OleFrost

when i were troubleshooting in safe mode.

Were you trying to install in Windows Safe Mode?

Thanks
    Carsten
    Please click Mark as Answer if this post is of help to you. :-)

My Blog
  • OleFrost

OleFrost

None

0 Points

5 Posts

Dec 11, 2009 09:45 AM|OleFrost|LINK

I primarily tried to get NGEN up and running again in Windows safe mode, since I guess that more resources are freed in safe mode. But with the same results.

I may also have tried the MVC installer, but this really makes no sense as long as NGEN will not execute the queued items.

Is there any way to find out what resources NGEN is needing or missing?

Is there any way to view or clear the NGEN queue?

Do you know how to patch the MVC installer to skip NGEN and the GAC installation?

Thanks, Ole

• OleFrost

OleFrost

None

0 Points

5 Posts

Dec 14, 2009 06:59 AM|OleFrost|LINK

I have now without success trawled most of the internet without finding a way to troubleshoot my problem with NGEN.

My best guess is that NGEN in special situations ends up in an indefinite loop using all the resources on the computer. This guess is based on these and other similar posts:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netfxsetup/thread/61483acc-b5ff-46ee-9094-2542848f4a00

http://forums.asp.net/p/1423139/3163180.aspx

I therefore returned to my original source of troubleshooting the MVC installer:

http://haacked.com/archive/2009/03/05/troubleshooting-installers.aspx

Then finally I decided to take the risk and patch the MVC installer to skip the optimizing performed by NGEN. I used InstEdIt/ORCA to set the level of the two NGEN features to 0 - and then the installation completed successfully.

Please note: This is a risky and unsupported workaround - my system still has an unresolved problem with NGEN that may cause even bigger trouble in the future. A fresh install of Windows is now my only long term solution...

• ‹ Previous Thread|Next Thread ›