Last post Sep 24, 2009 10:45 AM by craigmo
Sep 23, 2009 04:48 PM|craigmo|LINK
I am having problems debugging and running ASP.Net 1.1 apps. I believe the problem started after I installed Visual Studio 2008 SP1, because the 1.1 apps were working fine before I installed the service pack. If I try to debug a 1.1 app, I get the following
Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Server side-error occurred on sending debug HTTP request.
Make sure the server is operating correctly. Verify there are no syntax errors in web.config by doing a Debug.Start Without Debugging. You may also want to refer to the ASP.NET and ATL Server debugging and ATL Server debugging topic in the online documentation.
Soooo...I click the OK button and run without debugging. Guess what I get when IE loads?
SERVER APPLICATION UNAVAILABLE.
And I look at the event log and see the following:
aspnet_wp.exe could not be restarted. The error code for the failure is 80070545. This error can be caused when the worker process account has insufficient rights to read the .Net Framework files...etc..etc
OK. I have researched this. I have seen the KB articles on Microsoft. I have checked the permissions for the ASPNet machine account. This account DOES have all the appropriate rights on TEMP, Temporary .Net files, etc etc etc. I've restarted IIS. I've
rebooted. I've recreated the virtual directory. I've checked the ASP.Net tab in IIS to make sure that it's 1.1 and not 2.0. Still get the same error message. I am all out of ideas and patience.
If anyone knows of a solution, please forward it ASAP. I've spent 5 hours trying to fix this....
Aspnet_wp.exe could not be started
Sep 24, 2009 03:19 AM|subhashdike|LINK
In your visual studio command prompt, reach out to below mentioned path and execute command aspnet_regiis - i
In ideal condition at execution, your command should look like this -- C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322>aspnet_regiis -i
After this, reset the IIS and try again.
Let us know if that helped
Sep 24, 2009 08:41 AM|craigmo|LINK
Did that three times already. Nothing.
Sep 24, 2009 09:23 AM|craigmo|LINK
I should add that html files load fine. It's just the aspx files that can't load. I'm thinking it's a permissions issue on the Temporary ASP.Net files folder(C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.14322\Temporary Internet Files), but I see that ASP.NET
Machine Account has Full Control on that folder).
Sep 24, 2009 10:45 AM|craigmo|LINK
OK, all of my peer developers are now encountering the same issue. It looks like a patch got installed to all our workstations on or around the same time VS 2008 SP1 was installed. It wasn't supposed to be installed and it mucked up the ASP.Net user account
permissions. The solution to this problem was do run the following steps:
1) Delete ASP.Net user account
2) Run aspnet_regiis -i
The key step was to first DELETE the ASP.Net user account. Just running aspnet_regiis -i does NOT solve the problem, you must first delete the .Net user account. Now everything works fine!
All the while, I was cursing Microsoft! Glad I didn't vent against MS while writing this post...