Last post Sep 15, 2009 07:28 AM by Harperator
Sep 11, 2009 01:46 PM|Harperator|LINK
Oh MAN this is cool.
I have two brand spanking new winsows 2003 servers to set up!
they are both win2003 R2, one is to be for SQL 2005, the other an app server for .net
I have a devel. laptop with VS 2005 that is connected to a web app on another server that has both SQL and .net onstalled on it.
What I want to do is:
1. Upgrade my VS to 2008 on my devel. laptop.
2. Migrate my existing 2005 web app to 2008 on laptop
3. Set up the two servers to talk to each other sharing sql data.
4. Port over SQL database to sql server
5. Publish a 2008 flavor of my web app. I'm thinking I'll push it up from my devel. Machine.
I'm so xcited, I want to kist jump into this, bit its also close to quitting time on a friday, so I think I'll do some research this weekend, and do it right on monday.
Thanks for any leads, pitfalls, etc
Sep 14, 2009 11:59 AM|TommyGunn32|LINK
Only issue may be making sure you open the correct SQL ports in Windows Firewall on the SQL DB server..
Sep 15, 2009 07:28 AM|Harperator|LINK
Thanks for the tip!
Now that I'm in the thick of it, I need advice.
I have two servers running win 2003 R2. lets say SqlServer and NetServer. I have a devel. laptop rnning vista pro, lets call it LapTop. I need to connect to the SQLServer from both the NetServer and teh LapTop.
I just read that SQL Browsing service is highly reccommended to NOT turn on. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914277
I'm confused by accounts and permissions and the ghost accounts that get/got set up (e.g. SQLServer\SQLserver2005MSFTEUser$SQLServer$MSSQLSERVER )
I want to set up my laptop and NetServer to have connections to teh SQLServer, but I want it as locked down as I can get it. It is behnd a firewall. I have an admin account on all machines, but my laptop admin account is not the admin account on the servers.
1. What account do I set up on SQLServer to allow access? What permissions does it need to have?
2. What connection (SQLBrowser, or, Im guessing named port?) do I use?
3. What Protocol is safest? (Named pipes, tcpip)
Thanks in advance!