Last post Sep 10, 2009 02:27 PM by atconway
Sep 09, 2009 11:27 AM|nickg500|LINK
I have a ASP.NET 2.0 application running on a clients Windows Server 2003 for Small Business &
IIS 6.0. I received a call the other day and was told my application wasn't working, so I logged in and tried running the program. It did not load, so I opened IIS and went to the the properties of the application and noticed ASP.NET was set to version
1.1.4322 so I changed it to 2.0.50727 and tried running it again, still didnt work.
Then I checked the Web Service Extensions in IIS and noticed only v1.1.4322 was there, so I went to the command prompt and ran 'aspnet_regiis.exe -i -enable' from the
c:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/Framework/v2.0.50727 folder and tried running the website again and it worked! At that point I thought it was fixed, until the next day when i received a call from the client and said the same thing was happening. So I logged
back in and noticed everything was set back to the way it was, so i did the same things again and it worked again, until the next day when everything got set back and v2.0.50727 was not registered in the Web Service Extensions. I looked in the event viewer
and didnt see anything that stood out.
They assured me no one was working on there server or changing things around or trying to install new software. My question is what would be causing their server to revert these changes back to ASP.NET v1.1.4322 and 'unregister' 2.0? I am stuck and drastically
need some help! Thanks in advance to those of you who answer.
configuration of ASP.net
AsP Net 2.0
Install .NET 2
asp .net 2.0
.net virtual directory
ASp .net 1.0
ASP .net 2.0 .NET
asp .net 2.0.50727
web service extensions
Sep 09, 2009 02:54 PM|atconway|LINK
This is odd, but it could be due to a group policy un-registering the Aspnet_isapi.dll or IIS mappings even after you have fixed them for ASP.NET. Take a look at this link with almost an identical problem:
Lastly, when I have repaired the IIS mappings as you have done, I do not add the -enable switch, but I do not think that is making the difference. I typically follow the instuctions here:
...and reference the switch definitions from here:
Sep 09, 2009 04:12 PM|nickg500|LINK
Thank you for your reply. I logged into the server and ran the 'gpupdate /force'
however that did not cause the application to stop working. So I am guessing that it's not a group policy issue?
Sep 10, 2009 02:27 PM|atconway|LINK
Possibly that could rule out group policy issues. I do however think that some routine process is running and unregistering the IIS headers. Figuring this out may take time.
You are going to need to start monitoring the server closely. You could 1st start by looking at the server event logs. There may be an entry (not necessarily of type error) that explains or helps lead you to the culprit. This would be especially true
if this is happening nightly.
One brut way of solving the problem for now, would be to create a .bat file that runs the commands to register the headers using a scheduled task on whatever time interval necessary. This by
no means is a good perminent solution, but could be a band-aid, until you can seek out the underlying issue.
You could also look at the IIS log for your site to determine what time it quit responding (via last time stamp roughly) to help you search back in the event log to see if anything happened after that.
I don't think it is your app doing this, but is rather something unknown on the server.