Last post Nov 16, 2009 03:41 PM by gopalakrishnach
Jun 08, 2009 06:47 AM|masoudf|LINK
I am planning to migrate a project from asp.NET 1.1 to 3.5.
Which one would be the best approach?
I create new project and migrate project to new project or direct open in .net 2008?
I have 6 class library and one main project have 900 asp pages.
Jun 08, 2009 10:58 AM|abinashpatra|LINK
Open the Project in VS2008. It will take care fo the rest. I had taken the same approach for 1.1 to 2.0(VS 2005) and then 2.0 to 3.5 migration(VS 2008).
Jun 09, 2009 08:02 AM|masoudf|LINK
I convert to 2005 . but I have some error.
Jun 09, 2009 10:21 AM|abinashpatra|LINK
You can directly open the solution in VS 2008. It will ask you to select the framework and you can change the framweork to what ever you want (Say 3.5).
It will have some errors related to deprecated methods. Please manually fix these. Also do a google search on issues related to migration.
Jun 25, 2009 05:06 AM|masoudf|LINK
I Convert my project to .net 3.5 Successfully. and execute without problem.
But I can't debug. i make new breackpoint and compile , but have problem
"no symboles loaded to current document "
Jun 25, 2009 05:30 AM|abinashpatra|LINK
I think the problem is you are not attaching the debugger properly or with build.
Have U tried building the solution couple times?I have not worked on 2008 so not able to guess the problem.
Nov 16, 2009 03:41 PM|gopalakrishnach|LINK
Steps that I followed for converting .NET 1.1 project into .NET 3.5 project.
First I got the code from source control and stored it on local drive. Mostly a folder on Desktop named NewCode.
1) Remove source control binding by deleting following files
And update solution file and project files.
2) Remove metadata folder from all the folders and sub folders
3) Open the solution in Visual Studio 2008
4) Run the wizard
The wizard will allow you to
No for backup (if you want backup click yes)
Permanently remove source control condition
5) Open the Solution Explorer in VS 2008, right click on project files and select properties.
6) Change target framework to 3.5 and Save it.
7) Close the solution ( close VS 2008) and open it again.
8) Set the references properly. ( Open Solution Explorer. Right click on Solution. Select Properties. Select Reference Path. Add a folder that has all the dll's that your project needs. I made sure that all our user created dll's were already in .NET
9) Build the solution and see if there are any error or warning messages.
10) Resolve the errors and warning and build the solution.
If everything goes fine. Your project will be created which is now in .NET 3.5