Home/ASP.NET Forums/General ASP.NET/Data Scaffolding using ASP.NET Dynamic Data/AJAX in .Net 3.5 SP1 DynamicData site

AJAX in .Net 3.5 SP1 DynamicData site [Answered]RSS

10 replies

Last post Jan 09, 2009 02:14 PM by marcind

Dynamic Data AjaxControlToolkit

See my blog C# Bits | Twitter @sjnaughton
Always seeking an elegant solution.
  • Danny117

Danny117

Contributor

7421 Points

1908 Posts

Re: AJAX in .Net 3.5 SP1 DynamicData site

Jan 07, 2009 10:29 AM|Danny117|LINK

You've got a script manger on the page so you don't need to add one to the template.

Good Luck

Me on linked in

• gstadter

gstadter

39 Points

170 Posts

Jan 07, 2009 11:14 AM|gstadter|LINK

sjnaughton,I've been helped on more than one occasion by your blog, but I've not yet found something specific to how to get AJAX extenders to play nice with the ScriptManagerProxy in the Default.aspx.
    The dropdown calendar renders, but the size of the calendar is fixed, but the individual day "squares" are oversized, therefore you don’t see all of the days within the calendar.

Danny,
    I noted my discovery of the ScriptManagerProxy in the fourth line of my initial post on this thread.
    The problem is that after removing the ScriptManager from the field template page, relying on the ScriptManagerProxy within the Default.aspx page, that the calendar renders, but renders improperly.
    Thanks for replying though.

• ricka6

ricka6

Star

12512 Points

2217 Posts

Microsoft

Jan 07, 2009 01:25 PM|ricka6|LINK

Come up with the simplest possible repro (using NorthWind or AdventureWorks) and I'll help you get it to the right folks. Note this is not really a Dynamic Data question.

Rick -ASP.Net UE @RickAndMSFT Rick on MVC, WebAPI and Azure  
  • sjnaughton

sjnaughton

All-Star

17894 Points

5676 Posts

MVP

Jan 07, 2009 01:47 PM|sjnaughton|LINK

hI Gstadter, I'll look into it but I believe that if have a look at the DD Futures as I mentioned earlier you will see what they have done. I'll get something together by tomorrow on this [:D]

Dynamic Data AjaxControlToolkit

• gstadter

gstadter

39 Points

170 Posts

Jan 07, 2009 03:11 PM|gstadter|LINK

Rick,
    Absolutely correct, this should really be in the AJAX forum.
    Although I am using my own DB, this AJAX control extender is the first mod to any of the DD files (no other template or routing changes have been made at all).
    If I don’t find what I need via the Futures sample/Steve, I’ll pursue this in the AJAX forum.

Steve,
    I’m downloading the zip now and will dig.

• marcind

marcind

Contributor

2127 Points

607 Posts

Microsoft

Jan 07, 2009 03:13 PM|marcind|LINK

gstadter

problem, the calendar rendered to the user via calendar extender on TextBox1 within the datetime_edit field template does not render properly.
    If I just add a blank Default2.aspx to the site, drop in a scriptmanager, textbox, and calendar extender, THAT calendar renders perfectly, so I know it's not a problem with AJAX on my environment/site.
    So I am guessing that there is a problem between the calendar extender in my timedate_edit field template page and the existing scriptmanagerproxy in the Default.aspx.

Is there a work-around?

The problem is not with the ScriptManager but with the default CSS in Dynamic Data 3.5 SP1 projects that is too greedy and applies too much padding to how the calendar is rendered (this padding gets inherited from the grid view, which the calendar is embedded in, and both are rendered usign html tables, hence the bleed-through). There's a workaround for it in Dynamic Data Futures (look at the DynamicDataFuturesSample app).

That app uses the following additional CSS to fix these issues:

/* Removes border and padding information that a calendar would inherit when embedded inside of a gridview table */
    div.ajax__calendar_days table td, div.ajax__calendar_months table td, div.ajax__calendar_years table td
    {
        padding: 0px;
        border: none;
    }

/* Ensures the calendar has a high stacking order so it appears on top of other ACT controls, like slider */
    div.ajax__calendar_container
    {
       z-index: 100;
    }

Marcin Dobosz
    ASP.NET Team
    @marcind
    Blog
  • sjnaughton

sjnaughton

All-Star

17894 Points

5676 Posts

MVP

Jan 07, 2009 04:37 PM|sjnaughton|LINK

Yep I knew it was in there [:D] just hadn't the time to look myself [:(]

Dynamic Data Futures

• gstadter

gstadter

39 Points

170 Posts

Jan 08, 2009 07:43 AM|gstadter|LINK

A huge thank you to all who made the time to chime in on this, in spite of the fact that it was in the wrong forum.   8-)

• marcind

marcind

Contributor

2127 Points

607 Posts

Microsoft

Jan 09, 2009 02:14 PM|marcind|LINK

You were in the right forum. Glad to help.

Marcin Dobosz
    ASP.NET Team
    @marcind
    Blog
  • ‹ Previous Thread|Next Thread ›