Last post Jun 30, 2011 03:24 PM by Julia G
Nov 21, 2008 12:47 PM|timmyjonesca|LINK
I have a report that I would like to add a subreport to. Pretty simple...right?
I have a working parent report and have also created a report that will be used as a sub report on the parent. To setup the subreport, I drag on a subreport object and open up the Subreport Properties. In the "Use this report as a subreport" textbox, I choose
Browse, and then navigate to the SharePoint library that contains both the parent, and the child report. I then choose the child report as the source of my subreport. Upon returning from that dialog, the "Use this report as a subreport" textbox has the full
URL to the location of the subreport, http://SERVER/RS TEST/Subreport_Data.rdl
Before I hook the two together I just tried running report, but get the error
Failed to preview report. The ReportName for the subreport is not valid. Item names cannot contain the following reserved characters ;?:@&=+$,\*<>|. This is coming from the colon in the full URL location. I did some searching on MSDN and found this article:
In that article it reads:
Specify the report to include as a subreport.
1 - For a report published to a report server configured for native mode, use a full or relative path without the file extension. For example, http://server1/Folder3/Report2.
2 - For a report published to a report server configured in SharePoint integrated mode, use a the name of the subreport in the same folder as the main report. Include the file extension. Relative paths are not supported. For example, Report1.rdl.
I am using the second method so I changed my ReportName to: Subreport_Data.rdl. When trying to run the report (saving is fine) I am now faced with the error:
Failed to preview report. The ReportName for the subreport is not valid.
However, when launching the parent report from within the SharePoint document library, the report opens fine.
Am I to assume that when running in SharePoint integration mode, that you are unable to preview reports from within Report Builder 2.0?
On a side-note, does anyone know how to change the SharePoint context menu option "Edit in Report Builder" to open with Report Builder 2.0 instead of 1.0? I downloaded Report Builder 2.0 to create several reports but now when I choose to edit them from within
SharePoint the system tries to open the report using Report Builder 1.0 and the report fails.
Reporting Services 2008
Report Builder 2.0
Nov 21, 2008 01:38 PM|Charles Asbornsen|LINK
This appears to be a known bug.
Jun 30, 2011 03:24 PM|Julia G|LINK
The fact that reportname gives the .rdl extension in Sharepoint and not in Native Mode is actually a good thing. It makes it easy to determine if the .RDL extionsion is needed for the drill-in’s. I spent all day looking for a solution and no where did this
suggestion come up but it seems to work well..
=IIF( InStr(UCASE(Globals!ReportName),"RDL") > 0 , "reporttocall.rdl","reporttocall")