Last post Mar 14, 2009 01:46 AM by prabhatasp
Oct 14, 2008 02:53 AM|rpadma|LINK
Hi, I have the following requirement:
1. Need to create a setup project which would place a shortcut on the user's desktop which points to some website like say
2. When the user runs the above msi, it will do nothing but create a shortcut on his desktop.
2. Also need to package an icon along with the setup such that the icon also is displayed on the shortcut even if the user does not have the icon file previously.
Please let me know the steps for the above scenario. I am able to create the shortcut but the custom icon is not getting displayed.
shortcut msi desktop internet url icon
Oct 14, 2008 02:04 PMfirstname.lastname@example.org|LINK
Oct 15, 2008 12:11 AM|rpadma|LINK
Sorry, this link does not provide a solution to my issue..this is a very specific scenario and does not have any web project associated with it.
I have a problem in getting the custom icon to appear in the shortcut.
Oct 17, 2008 02:23 AM|Thomas Sun – MSFT|LINK
In your case, we can create an executable application which is used to launch IE and open the website, and insert this executable application to user's Desktop in the Setup project. To create this executable application, we can use Process.Start Method (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.diagnostics.process.start(VS.71).aspx).
You also can refer to How to add a shortcut file to a Setup project in Visual Studio 2005 or in Visual Studio .NET (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837220).
I look forward to hearing from you.
Oct 17, 2008 08:15 AM|rpadma|LINK
Hi, My concern is how to package the icon along with the setup so that the user will be able to see the customized icon on his shortcut on desktop.
I managed to create a shortcut using the following steps:
1. Create a shortcut url to www.yahoo.com on my desktop
2, In th setup project click add file on users desktop and add the above created url
3. Again browse to the icon and add it under users desktop
4. Then right click the file and create shortcut to the url in setup project.
5. In the shorcut's properties, in Icon property browse to the icon under Users desktop(added in step 3) and select that.
6. Build and Install setup.
7. Shortcut appears but icon does not.
Please provide some suggestion asap.I dontk now if the above is the right way to do it.
Oct 19, 2008 11:07 PM|Thomas Sun – MSFT|LINK
Thanks for your response.
If you want your shortcut to have your application's icon, we need to add your icon file to the "Application folder".
For more information, see
Oct 21, 2008 05:42 AM|rpadma|LINK
I am still unable to package the icon nor get the shortcut, even if i place icon in Application Folder. When i run the setup i get 3 differnent files, but none of them are linked to each other. Shortcut to shortcut url - does that work? Icon is also not
Please read the above steps which I have performed and let me know if this is the right way..
Mar 14, 2009 01:46 AM|prabhatasp|LINK
this is prabhat here, I want to create a desktop shortcut for my new web project.
For this, i create a url shortcut of my application and add it to urer's desktop.
After installation it creates a shortcut on desktop, but icon (image) is not showing on desktop.
Is my shortcut have not a valid icon file, Or something other problem?
please help me.
Re: Setup project for shortcut on desktop