Last post Oct 13, 2008 01:16 PM by craigt-from-atl
Oct 10, 2008 03:08 PM|craigt-from-atl|LINK
Ok, I've got a bit of a strange problem with a handler that I'm trying to diagnose, but can't get anywhere.
Basically, my client has a site that sells products in the form of MP3s, PDFs and other assorted document types that can be downloaded. There is a download.ashx page that ensures the user has the permission to download the requested file and then serves
the file up by way of changing the Response.ContentType. For most files, this works great. The user clicks on the download button and they are prompted to save the file. On certain files, however, I receive the "Internet Explorer can not display the webpage."
Firefox actually shows two different errors sometimes. One is an "Connection Interrupted - The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading" error. This seems to be more descriptive, but still doesn't quite help me. The other error says
"XML Parsing Error: no element found."
Does the first FF error seem to suggest that the app pool is being recycled as the file is being downloaded? The MP3 in question is 50MB and is the largest file available for download. (The next largest is 38MB and it works fine) The web.config adjusts
the httpruntime element to look like this:
<httpRuntime executionTimeout="1800" maxRequestLength="200000" />
I'm using log4net to log errors here and throughout the site, but no error is ever thrown.
Any ideas as to what might be happening here or what else I can do to debug? Oh yeah, the download works fine on my local dev machine.
Thanks in advance!
Oct 12, 2008 02:42 AM|malikvakaz|LINK
I think u need to increase the execution time because if u are saying that its working fine on yr dev machine then it must be taking more time on live server to execute lets maximize the time and then try again...
Oct 13, 2008 10:20 AM|craigt-from-atl|LINK
Is there somewhere other than the web.config to adjust the timeout? It's currently set at "1800", which should be 30 minutes, right? I'm getting the error message after only a few seconds.
Appreciate your help!
Oct 13, 2008 12:56 PM|malikvakaz|LINK
No i think 1800 means 1.8 sec because i think they are in millisec and there are 1000 millisec in a sec.. so u must increase it.. and other thing is that u have to configure web.config otherwise somewhere in IIS but increase timelimit and try
Oct 13, 2008 01:16 PM|craigt-from-atl|LINK
Thanks for sticking with me on this. :) I actually think it's in seconds:
I set it from 1800 to 180000 just for kicks though and got the same result. I think I'll try to post another large file to the server and see if I get the same results. Just wish the darn thing would throw an error for me. :)
PS- the production server is in a shared hosting environment, so not sure how much access I have to event logs or IIS.