Last post Sep 22, 2008 12:32 PM by Scott French
Sep 18, 2008 04:33 PM|Scott French|LINK
I've been stuck on this issue for a few days and am finally running out of ideas. I recently upgraded from an XP Pro dev machine to a new Vista Ultimate machine. I installed all the same software, third party tools, etc. Both are running SQL Server 2005
and /bin folder are good because they worked on my old machine with basically the same setup. The kicker is if I run the application using Visual Studio's built in ASP.Net Development Server the site runs fine (other than some missing images because the site
isn't running at the root level). This leads me to believe I am missing some key setup in Vista's newer IIS that I never had to deal with on XP / IIS 5.1. I've been going around in circles trying different setting, editing files, changing permissions, etc.
The only errors that seem to be coming on when I try to load the site using IIS @
Sep 21, 2008 10:52 AM|Coleen|LINK
Scott, I just got a new laptop with Vista and IE7 (I HATE Vista!) but am learning that in order to run some of my applications that were created on a different machine with VS 2005 .Net 2.0 instead of my current upgraded version of VS 2008 with .Net 3.5,
I have to run VS as Administrator! I had to go in to my .Net applications and change the permissions to allow me (different user name on my new laptop than what it was on my previous laptop) to read/write to all my applications and web sites.
Then, on top of that, if I forget to open VS from the Start menu and click on "Run as Administrator" then I get an error message when trying to run my apps, even though I have gone in and given myself permission! I don't know if this will help you or not,
but try running VS as Admin, and see if that helps.
Sep 21, 2008 01:16 PMfirstname.lastname@example.org|LINK
Did you install and configure ASP.NET 3.5 on the new workstation? Are you running i the integrated or classic pipeline? Did you check the list of breaking changes in IIS 7? Check
www.iis.net for help with IIS.
Sep 22, 2008 12:32 PM|Scott French|LINK
Thanks for the feedback folks! We actually figured this out Friday, sorry I didn't come back and respond with the solution. For the record my machine is current with all the latest .NET versions, software updates, patches, etc (even though the application
itself if still setup as 2.0). I have the permission on my site directory set wide open (Everyone/Full Control) just for troubleshooting purposes. I also have Account control or whatever that annoying option is called turned off and always log into this dev
a long time but the fix ended up being so simple (and so not obvious) that I could scream. We just changed the application pool over to "Classic .NET AppPool". I had it's own application pool named after the root directory. From what I can tell IIS does this
as a default because I don't remember specifically setting it. Anyway that solved it.