Last post Aug 21, 2008 01:11 PM by Frederic
Aug 19, 2008 10:45 PM|zo62|LINK
I have accomplished installing SQL Management Studio on my machine. I don't have an external server I want to use my machine as the server how do would I be able to do that. Thannks
Aug 20, 2008 02:07 AM|anzer|LINK
You can use the Free SQL server Express version.. (There is a chance it may be already installed in your machine )
Please try the following
1. Open Management studio
2. In the Server Name field enter LOCALHOST\SQLEXPRESS
3. Select Window Authentication from Authentication drop down
4. Click connect
If its not working change the LOCALHOST\SQLEXPRESS to LOCALHOST and try again
If its still not working please download and install SQL Express from http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/express/default.mspx
and try again the above steps
Aug 20, 2008 02:18 AM|anzer|LINK
Alternatively you can check your windows services listing to see whether SQL Server is already installed or not..
Please do the follwoing
1. Click Start -> Run
2. Type services.msc and click enter
3. Goto the bottom of the list and check whether there is an entry named SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) or SQL Server with the status Started
if the entry is there the Server is already installed..
and if its there but the status is anything other than started, Right Click and choose properties and Click on the start buttom..
Now try the steps in the previous post
Aug 21, 2008 06:13 AM|Ganesh@Nilgris|LINK
vs 2005 comes with 2 advantages.
1. in built web server so u dont require IIS.
2. if SQLExpress is installed then u can use as server u dont require external server.
PS. SqlExpress runs in Windows Authentication only.
Aug 21, 2008 01:11 PM|Frederic|LINK
Please let me know in which OS you are trying to install Sql Express.
If its in Vista then you have to download Sql Server Express SP2. Which is available in microsoft downloads site.
If its in XP then you have to follow the following steps:
1. Run the setup .
2.Select the Feature that you want to install while installing the SQL Express from Feature Selection Dialog.
3.You can mark or unmark the checkbox in Error and usage Reporting Setting dialog.
4.Select the SQL Instance a default.
5.Select Authentication as Mixed Mode if you want to create a Login Credential for SQL Server.
6. Assign "sa" password as per you. (Recommanded)
7. Select windows Authentication mode , if you dont want to have a login credential for SQL Server.
Mark answered if its helpful to you.