Last post Apr 01, 2008 03:21 PM by planesgalore
Mar 31, 2008 03:49 AM|planesgalore|LINK
I've downloaded the starter kit and made only two changes. I've followed the instruction for Godaddy connection strings found in this forum and set customErrors mode to off. I'm still seeing the same Runtime error on startup with the recommendation to
set customErrors to off. Do I need to change something else? Help? Thanks
Mar 31, 2008 11:07 AM|ashmetry|LINK
Check the runtime settings of your hosting provider to make sure you are running .NET 2.0 not .NET 1.1
Mar 31, 2008 01:40 PM|planesgalore|LINK
Thanks. I checked and ASP runtime version is set to 2.0. Could the problem be in the config file?
<add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=126.96.36.199, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true"
requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true" applicationName="/" requiresUniqueEmail="true" passwordFormat="Hashed" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5" minRequiredPasswordLength="7" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="1" passwordAttemptWindow="10" passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""/>
<add name="FirstName" type="System.String"/>
<add name="LastName" type="System.String"/>
<add name="MemberId" defaultValue="0" type="System.Int32"/>
<siteMap defaultProvider="RoleEnabled_AspNetXmlSiteMapProvider" enabled="true">
<add name="RoleEnabled_AspNetXmlSiteMapProvider" type="System.Web.XmlSiteMapProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" siteMapFile="web.sitemap" securityTrimmingEnabled="true"/>
<add name="classifiedsConnection" connectionString="Data Source=Data Source=xxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.secureserver.net;
Password='xxxxxxxxxx';" Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=Data Source=xxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.secureserver.net;
<network host="yourSMTPhostname" port="25" defaultCredentials="true" userName="enterUserNameHereIfRequired" password="enterPasswordIfRequired"/>
Mar 31, 2008 05:12 PM|manorfarm|LINK
Hi try this
<remove name="LocalSqlServer" />
<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=xxx;Initial Catalog=xxx;UID=xxx;pwd=xxx"
<add name="classifiedsConnection" connectionString="Data Source=xxx;Initial Catalog=xxx;UID=xxx;pwd=xxx"
Mar 31, 2008 06:53 PM|ashmetry|LINK
You have to have <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/> before you add it...
Mar 31, 2008 07:36 PM|planesgalore|LINK
Thanks a lot. You were right. My connection string was the problem. I've made the change you suggested and am getting a new error. I'll look through the existing postings to see if my new error has already been addressed. Thanks again.
Mar 31, 2008 07:38 PM|manorfarm|LINK
What's the new error?
Mar 31, 2008 10:38 PM|planesgalore|LINK
Hi, The error is Server Error in '/' Application. (provider; named pipes error 40 - could not open a connection to SQL Server. [no relevant source lines]Source File:
App_Code.harxwcuf.2.vb Line: 1672
I did some google research and found a forum discussion which refered me back to my host - Godaddy - for something called machine\instance. I called and no luck. They said my connection strings were wrong and gave me the same info I used from the db manager.
Said they never heard of machine\instance. Thanks. I'm new to this forum. Am I supposed to read everything for similar problems before I ask for more help? Then am I supposed to make a new post with a different subject? Thanks again. I really appreciate
this forum. I've learned a lot, tho obviously not enough.
Mar 31, 2008 10:47 PM|planesgalore|LINK
Apr 01, 2008 05:21 AM|manorfarm|LINK
What does your new connection string look like
In your original string you had "Data Source=Data Source= and then what appeared to be a very long name for your server" this should read more like Data Source = YourSQLServerName
You also had - Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True" - the underlined bit refers to windows security and doesn't need to be there as you are using SQL security (UID and Password when operating remotely - whether you need a User Instance I
don't know but I would experiment by dropping it from your connection string
I am not with Godaddy but connection strings are pretty generic regardless of host - unless someone can tell you otherwise
Apr 01, 2008 10:42 AM|planesgalore|LINK
I already removed the Integrated Security and User Instance bits. When I add User Instance back in I get the original error. The server name I got directly from Godaddy and they confirmed it yesterday. Thanks
Apr 01, 2008 12:15 PM|ashmetry|LINK
Make sure your connection string looks like this ->
Data Source=SERVERNAME;Initial Catalog=DBNAME;User Id=USERNAME;Password=PASS;
setup your server name, db name user/pass from godaddy control panel
Apr 01, 2008 12:22 PM|manorfarm|LINK
I assume you have also removed the replication of Data Source = Data Source = to just Data Source = SQL ServerName
Failing that post another topic headed Godaddy connection string - it should attract alot of attention
Apr 01, 2008 03:21 PM|planesgalore|LINK
Hi, Thanks so much. I'm really new to this, but even so..what an idiot mistake. I copied and pasted from Godaddys hosting connection and just thought the extra DataSource = was part of the code. It looked a little odd, but hey, most of it looks odd
still to me. I made the change and it works! Thanks again