Last post Feb 14, 2008 04:00 PM by TATWORTH
Feb 14, 2008 07:08 AM|prashantlakhlani|LINK
Is this Issue tracker starter kit open source licenced? I'm thinking of converting this application into DotNetNuke Module. Is it legal to do so? Because this is a nice issue tracker and it can be userful module for DNN world as there is no such kind of
module available for free.
Thanks and regards.
Feb 14, 2008 07:25 AM|TATWORTH|LINK
Which Issue tracker are you talking about? I had a look on the starter kits on this site, but no issue tracker. A URL of the issue tracker would be of assistance.
Feb 14, 2008 07:32 AM|prashantlakhlani|LINK
Which Issue tracker are you talking about? I had a look on the starter kits on this site, but no issue tracker. A URL of the issue tracker would be of assistance.
I'm talking about Issue Tracker Starter kit for 1.x which is available at this url: http://www.asp.net/downloads/archived/starter-kits/issue-tracker/
Feb 14, 2008 03:41 PM|TATWORTH|LINK
The licence terms (less the French part) are:
Shared Source License for Microsoft ASP.NET Starter Kit
This license governs use of the accompanying software (“Software”), and your use of the Software constitutes acceptance of this license.
Subject to the restrictions below, you may use the Software for any commercial or noncommercial purpose, including distributing derivative works.
In return, we simply require that you agree:
1. Not to remove any copyright or other notices from the Software.
2. That you are not allowed to combine or distribute the Software with other software that is licensed under terms that seek to require that the Software (or any intellectual property in it) be provided in source code form, licensed to others to allow the creation
or distribution of derivative works, or distributed without charge.
3. That if you distribute the Software in source code form you do so only under this license (i.e. you must include a complete copy of this license with your distribution), and if you distribute the Software solely in object form you only do so under a license
that complies with this license.
4. That you will (a) not use Microsoft’s name, logo, or trademarks in association with distribution of the Software or derivative works unless otherwise permitted in writing; (b) display your own valid copyright notice which must be sufficient to protect Microsoft’s
copyright in the Software; and (c) indemnify, hold harmless, and defend Microsoft from and against any claims or lawsuits, including attorneys’ fees, that arise or result from the use or distribution of your modifications to the Software and any additional
software you distribute along with the Software.
5. That if you have modified the Software or created derivative works, and you distribute such modifications or derivative works, you will cause the modified files to carry prominent notices so that recipients know that they are not receiving the original Software.
Such notices must state: (a) that you have changed the Software; and (b) the date of any changes.
6. That the Software comes "as is", with no warranties. None whatsoever. This means no express, implied or statutory warranty, including without limitation, warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or any warranty of title or non-infringement.
Also, you must pass this disclaimer on whenever you distribute the Software or derivative works.
7. That neither Microsoft nor its suppliers will be liable for any of those types of damages known as indirect, special, consequential, or incidental related to the Software or this license, to the maximum extent the law permits, no matter what legal theory
it’s based on. Also, you must pass this limitation of liability on whenever you distribute the Software or derivative works.
8. That if you sue anyone over patents that you think may apply to the Software for a person's use of the Software, your license to the Software ends automatically.
9. That the patent rights, if any, granted in this license only apply to the Software, not to any derivative works you make.
10. That the Software is subject to U.S. export jurisdiction at the time it is licensed to you, and it may be subject to additional export or import laws in other places. You agree to comply with all such laws and regulations that may apply to the Software
after delivery of the software to you.
11. That if you are an agency of the U.S. Government, (i) Software provided pursuant to a solicitation issued on or after December 1, 1995, is provided with the commercial license rights set forth in this license, and (ii) Software provided pursuant to a solicitation
issued prior to December 1, 1995, is provided with “Restricted Rights” as set forth in FAR, 48 C.F.R. 52.227-14 (June 1987) or DFAR, 48 C.F.R. 252.227-7013 (Oct 1988), as applicable.
12. That your rights under this license end automatically if you breach it in any way.
13. That this license contains the only rights associated with the Software and Microsoft reserves all rights not expressly granted to you in this license.
This is a legal agreement (“Agreement”) between you (either an individual or an entity), the end user (“Recipient”), and Microsoft Corporation (“Microsoft”). BY INSTALLING, COPYING OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE (AS DEFINED BELOW), YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY
THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, DO NOT INSTALL, COPY OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
MICROSOFT CORPORATION LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR PRE RELEASE SOFTWARES
MICROSOFT ASP.NET STARTER KIT
Accompanying this Agreement is a pre-release copy of the Microsoft product identified above, which may include software and related documentation and information (collectively the “Software”). The Software is protected by copyright laws and international copyright
treaties, as well as other intellectual property laws and treaties. The Software is licensed, not sold.
1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This Agreement grants Recipient the following rights provided that Recipient complies with all terms and conditions of this Agreement:
(a) Microsoft grants to Recipient a limited, non-exclusive, nontransferable, royalty-free license to install and use the Software on any number of computers residing on Recipient’s premises, solely to test the compatibility of Recipient’s application or other
product(s) which operate in conjunction with the Software and to evaluate the Software for the purpose of providing feedback thereon to Microsoft. All other rights are reserved to Microsoft. Recipient shall not rent, lease, sell, sublicense, assign, or otherwise
transfer any portion of the Software. Recipient may not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble any portion of the Software, except and only to the extent that this limitation is expressly prohibited by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.
(b) Recipient agrees to provide reasonable feedback regarding the Software to Microsoft, including but not limited to usability, bug reports and test results (collectively “Feedback”). Recipient further agrees that: (i) Microsoft may freely use, disclose, reproduce,
license, distribute and otherwise commercialize the Feedback in any Microsoft product, technology, service, specification or other documentation (collectively, “Microsoft Offerings”), (ii) Recipient also grants third parties, without charge, only those patent
rights necessary to enable their products, technologies or services to use or interface with any specific parts of a Microsoft product that incorporate the Feedback; and (iii) Recipient will not give Microsoft Feedback subject to license terms that seek to
require any Microsoft Offering that incorporates or is derived from any Feedback, or other Microsoft intellectual property, to be licensed to or otherwise shared with any third party. Due to the nature of the development work, Microsoft provides no assurance
that any specific errors or discrepancies in the Software will be corrected.
(c) Recipient may disclose the Software only to its employees who have a need to know in order to accomplish the purposes identified in Section 1(a), and such employees’ use of the Software shall take place solely at Recipient’s site. Recipient will have executed
appropriate written agreements with its employees sufficient to enable it to comply with the terms of this Agreement.
(d) Recipient agrees that, for a period of up to six (6) months after commercial release of the Software, it will maintain a list of all employees who have had access hereunder to the Software or related information and provide such list to Microsoft upon Microsoft’s
(e) In the event Microsoft, in its sole discretion, elects to provide deliveries of Software to more than one individual employed by Recipient (if Recipient is not a single individual), each such recipient shall be entitled to exercise the rights granted in
this Agreement, and shall be bound by the terms and conditions herein.
2. TERM OF AGREEMENT. The term of this Agreement shall commence on the date accepted by Recipient and shall continue until terminated by Microsoft in writing at any time, with or without cause. This Agreement will terminate without notice upon the earlier of
(i) commercial release of the Software or (ii) one year after the last date Recipient receives the Software or any Update thereto, unless terminated earlier by Microsoft. Upon the termination of this Agreement (or upon request by Microsoft), Recipient shall
promptly return to Microsoft, or certify destruction of, all full or partial copies of the Software provided by Microsoft. The following Sections shall survive termination or expiration of this Agreement: Sections 1(b), 1(d), 7, 8, 9, and 10; and Section 5
with respect to any information that has not been made public by Microsoft as of the commercial release of the Software, provided that in no case shall Section 5 survive longer than one year from receipt of the Software.
3. COST OF TESTING. There is no charge to Recipient for testing of the Software. Microsoft shall bear all direct freight expenses relating to the shipment of the Software to Recipient’s place of business and Recipient will pay any return freight expenses.
4. SOFTWARE MAINTENANCE/UPDATES. Microsoft is not obligated to provide maintenance, technical support or updates to Recipient for the Software provided to Recipient pursuant to this Agreement. However, Microsoft may, in its sole discretion, provide further
pre-release versions, technical support, updates and/or supplements of the Software and/or related information (“Updates”) to Recipient hereunder, in which case such Updates shall also be deemed to be included in the “Software” and therefore governed by this
program. Microsoft is not obligated to make the Software commercially available.
5. CONFIDENTIALITY. The Software, including its existence and features, and related information are proprietary and confidential information to Microsoft and its suppliers. Recipient agrees not to disclose or provide the Software, documentation, or any related
information (including the Software features or the results of use or testing) to any third party, for a period of one year following receipt of the Software or commercial release of the Software, whichever occurs first. However, Recipient may disclose confidential
information in accordance with judicial or other governmental order, provided Recipient shall give Microsoft reasonable written notice prior to such disclosure and shall comply with any applicable protective order or equivalent. Further, Recipient shall not
be liable to Microsoft for disclosure of information which Recipient can prove (a) is already known to Recipient without an obligation to maintain the same as confidential; (b) becomes publicly known through no wrongful act of Recipient; (c) is rightfully
received from a third party without breach of an obligation of confidentiality owed to Microsoft; or (d) is independently developed by Recipient.
6. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS. All title and intellectual property rights in and to the Software (including but not limited to any images, photographs, animations, video, audio, music, text and “applets” incorporated into the Software), and any copies of
the Software that Recipient is expressly permitted to make herein, are owned by Microsoft or its suppliers. All title and intellectual property rights in and to the content which may be accessed through use of the Software are the property of the respective
content owner and may be protected by applicable copyright or other intellectual property laws and treaties. This Agreement grants Recipient no rights to use such content. If the Software contains documentation which is provided only in electronic form, Recipient
may print one copy of such electronic documentation. Recipient may not copy the printed materials accompanying the Software. All rights not expressly granted are reserved by Microsoft.
7. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. THE SOFTWARE IS DEEMED ACCEPTED BY RECIPIENT. THE SOFTWARE CONTAINS PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE AND MAY BE CHANGED SUBSTANTIALLY BEFORE COMMERCIAL RELEASE. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, MICROSOFT AND ITS SUPPLIERS
PROVIDE THE SOFTWARE AND ANY (IF ANY) SUPPORT SERVICES RELATED TO THE SOFTWARE (“SUPPORT SERVICES”) AS IS AND WITH ALL FAULTS, AND HEREBY DISCLAIM WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE AND SUPPORT SERVICES ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR
STATUTORY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY (IF ANY) WARRANTIES, DUTIES OR CONDITIONS OF OR RELATED TO: MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, LACK OF VIRUSES, ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF RESPONSES, RESULTS, WORKMANLIKE EFFORT AND LACK OF NEGLIGENCE.
ALSO, THERE IS NO WARRANTY, DUTY OR CONDITION OF TITLE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, QUIET POSSESSION, CORRESPONDENCE TO DESCRIPTION OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY, OR ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE AND ANY SUPPORT SERVICES,
REMAINS WITH RECIPIENT.
8. EXCLUSION OF INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL AND CERTAIN OTHER DAMAGES. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL MICROSOFT OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, CONSEQUENTIAL OR OTHER DAMAGES
WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR: LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF CONFIDENTIAL OR OTHER INFORMATION, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, PERSONAL INJURY, LOSS OF PRIVACY, FAILURE TO MEET ANY DUTY (INCLUDING OF GOOD FAITH OR OF REASONABLE CARE), NEGLIGENCE,
AND ANY OTHER PECUNIARY OR OTHER LOSS WHATSOEVER) ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY RELATED TO THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE OR SUPPORT SERVICES, THE PROVISION OF OR FAILURE TO PROVIDE SUPPORT SERVICES, OR OTHERWISE UNDER OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY
PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT, EVEN IN THE EVENT OF THE FAULT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY, BREACH OF CONTRACT OR BREACH OF WARRANTY OF MICROSOFT OR ANY SUPPLIER, AND EVEN IF MICROSOFT OR ANY SUPPLIER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
SUCH DAMAGES. BECAUSE SOME STATES/JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO RECIPIENT.
9. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND REMEDIES. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY DAMAGES THAT RECIPIENT MIGHT INCUR FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL DAMAGES REFERENCED ABOVE AND ALL DIRECT OR GENERAL DAMAGES), THE ENTIRE LIABILITY OF MICROSOFT AND
ANY OF ITS SUPPLIERS UNDER ANY PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT AND RECIPIENT’S EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ALL OF THE FOREGOING SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL DAMAGES INCURRED BY YOU BASED ON REASONABLE RELIANCE UP TO THE GREATER OF THE AMOUNT ACTUALLY PAID BY RECIPIENT
FOR THE SOFTWARE OR FIVE DOLLARS (US$5.00). THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS, EXCLUSIONS AND DISCLAIMERS (INCLUDING SECTIONS 7 AND 8 ABOVE) SHALL APPLY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, EVEN IF ANY REMEDY FAILS ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
10. GOVERNING LAW/JURISDICTION/ATTORNEYS’ FEES. This Agreement shall be construed and controlled by the laws of the State of Washington, and Recipient consents to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in the federal courts sitting in King County, Washington, unless
no federal jurisdiction exists, in which case Recipient consents to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in the Superior Court of King County, Washington. Recipient waives all defenses of lack of personal jurisdiction and forum non conveniens. Process may be served
on either party in the manner authorized by applicable law or court rule. If either party employs attorneys to enforce any rights arising out of or relating to this Agreement, the prevailing party shall be entitled to recover its reasonable attorneys' fees,
costs and other expenses.
11. U.S. GOVERNMENT RIGHTS. All Software provided to the U.S. Government pursuant to solicitations issued on or after December 1, 1995 is provided with the rights and restrictions described elsewhere herein. All Software provided to the U.S. Government pursuant
to solicitations issued prior to December 1, 1995 is provided with RESTRICTED RIGHTS as provided for in FAR, 48 CFR 52.227-14 (JUNE 1987) or DFAR, 48 CFR 252.227-7013 (OCT 1988), as applicable.
12. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. Recipient acknowledges that Software is subject to U.S. export jurisdiction. Recipient agrees to comply with all applicable international and national laws that apply to the Software, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations,
as well as end-user, end-use and destination restrictions issued by U.S. and other governments. For additional information, see http://www.microsoft.com/exporting/.
13. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This Agreement constitutes the complete and exclusive agreement between Microsoft and Recipient with respect to the subject matter hereof, and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous oral or written communications, proposals, representations,
understandings, or agreements not specifically incorporated herein. This Agreement may not be amended except in a writing duly signed by an authorized representative of Microsoft and Recipient.
Feb 14, 2008 04:00 PM|TATWORTH|LINK
As I read the license for Issue Tracker, you must:
The projects needs upgrading to ASP.NET 2.0. The database is missing some of the referential integrity links. Found one just now and there could well be others.
You will probably end up rewriting a lot of the project, both for ASP.NET 2.0 and for DNN compatibility.