Last post Sep 25, 2007 12:16 AM by caligamer82
Feb 23, 2007 04:35 PM|bucketofsquid|LINK
We have a project that pulls information from a database and creates dynamic pages. The original project is in VS2003. The Google Mini searches and finds the dynamic page with each different data record just fine in the 2003 version. When the project
was re-written in VS2005 using the exact same code it quit being searched by the Google Mini. In the process of investigating we noticed that VS2005 makes each project (web app or web site) into a seperate web, where as VS2003 used to just make a folder instead
of a new web. If we convert the 2003 project to a web it stops being searched. If we unweb it and it is again just a folder it gets searched again. We also noticed that our widely used relative addressing gets broken because a subweb can't really see the
higher level web it is a part of. That forces us to use hard coded paths which is always a stupid idea for our situation. (We use a crash box, test box, production box, three stage process for development). We have not tried to convert a VS2005 web site
to simply being a folder because it seems sure to cause failure. What my basic questions are; How should we deal with the problems caused by VS2005 arbitrarily mandating that all web projects have to be their own web even though we may have dozens of applications
that are all part of one website with a unified navigation and style? If each new project is a different web, how do I get the Google Mini to search all of them?
...Or is this just a setting somewhere?
Thanks for any help!
Apr 04, 2007 11:32 AM|bucketofsquid|LINK
You know what I really hate? Going on a tearing rant due to weeks of frustration and then finding out that what I thought was the problem really isn't. Well, more accurately, wasn't really that big of a deal. I don't mind looking stupid. I do that all
the time. What I really mind is that I may have misled others.
The real problem wasn't directly related to the version of visual studio, although the subweb thing did require an additional line in the Google mini "URL to crawl" list. That is the solution to this particular issue for us; The subweb version never got hit
by the Google mini's crawl because it was no longer part of the higher web so getting it's own URL entry fixed things.
One other problem was that the application read what server it was on to set which database to use at the main entry point. The page we were searching for bypassed the default page and thus had an empty database connect string so it returned an error.
Sep 25, 2007 12:16 AM|caligamer82|LINK
I'd suggest taking a look at www.Components4ASP.NET and their Google Mini components. We integrated it into our website and it worked like a charm.
Sample search on their website:
google mini ASP.NET component DLL thumbnails