Last post Feb 11, 2007 11:20 PM by colinbo
Jan 25, 2007 01:14 PM|awj|LINK
As I've read on a couple of other posts and I'm now finding out for myself, the browser in a Series 60 (as used on a Nokia N70) is only showing the WML version of mobile webforms, though according to the specs it should be able to render XHTML.
So if this device sends a request which states that it can accept XHTML, why is it only receiving WML pages?
Feb 01, 2007 08:12 AM|Siddero|LINK
Any luck with this issue. I have a similar problem but with Series 40 (I haven't got a S60 emulator/device to test against). I have a Nokia6230 emulator that shows the browser source for any page currently being shown. I used this to navigate to http://mobile.msn.com
and accessed my hotmail account via mobile. I presume that atleast the MSN team would definitely be using Mobile ASP.Net and whatever they can do on their pages can be done on my application as well. When I access msn mobile application, the emulator actually
displays XHtml content and not wml. I haven't been able to figure out how they achieve this but this has to be the answer to your question as well.
If you've made any progress please let me know.
Feb 01, 2007 01:53 PM|awj|LINK
I've come to the (unsupported) conclusion that the device not being sent the XHTML (though the specs say it can support it) is probably due to device profiling. I'll investigate this when I can find time and post back here.
In the meantime, have a look at
Feb 06, 2007 06:50 AM|Siddero|LINK
You were right about the device profiling conclusion. I used the device profiler to profile a Nokia 6230i handset. The documentation claimed that it could support basic xhtml but ASP.Net always rendered WML1.1 markup for it. I profiled it as a XHTML browser
and used it in my web.config and basic testing shows that it delivers xhtml content quite well. So thanx for the link.
However, with this setting my TimerFormCS class has completely seized working. The control claims to work for wml, chtml and html and I was hoping chtml would work well for xhtml rendering as well. Unfortunately this is not so, or atleast doesn't appear
to be so. Probably needs more digging around. Did you manage to get the TimerForm to work for you.
Feb 10, 2007 09:11 AM|awj|LINK
Sorry for the delay in replying. Because of other work I haven't yet tried the profiling approach but I'm encouraged by your finding that it worked for your device.
In regard to the TimerForm, I did eventually get this working for WML and XHTML. When I first used it I had only copied the TimerForm.cs class into my project - this approach worked for the XHTML pages but not those rendered in WML. However, I then copied
the entire TimerForm folder as well as the class into my project and referenced it in the same manner.
It now works for both renderings. I hope this helps.
Feb 11, 2007 11:20 PM|colinbo|LINK
The device profile is most certainly the root cause of the choice between WML and XHTML MP. The ASP.NET team won't be providing any more device updates because of the volume of new devices that hit the market every month. I would suggest looking at the
Wireless Universal Resource File project to get a more accurate and complete device characteristics database.