Last post Nov 24, 2006 03:22 AM by blacksheepvn
Nov 05, 2006 11:42 AM|Patrick Donovan|LINK
I understand that the starter kit is set up to use xml as the datasource. I would like to use the db - have made a new db and run the script to create the tables - I guess now all I need to do is edit the web.config file.
1) Does this look ok?
2) Where in the web.config do I tell it to NOT use xml and use the db instead
Nov 06, 2006 12:31 AM|mirtariq|LINK
1. Connection string seems fine, I believe you wanted to specify "user instance=true" rathat than "instance=true". Correct ?
2. In order to turn on database (and turn off xml) as the datasource, change the following configuration section:
Notice, you do have the option to have some pages rely on XML and some on database.
Hope it helps
Nov 06, 2006 04:38 PM|Patrick Donovan|LINK
Thanks for that - I see how this thing works now ....
Can I ask a couple more things:
1) What is "user instance=true"
actually saying here about the connection
2) Also I find this a bit cryptic:
Why "remove" then "add"?
3) I am sure that my local copy of the starter kit is now using the db - however when I change items in the db tables the data I see on screen does not change - is there some sort of cache here? If so how do I clear this?
Nov 08, 2006 08:51 AM|Patrick Donovan|LINK
Nov 13, 2006 01:38 PM|mirtariq|LINK
1. User Instances: this is a useful article on user instances:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms254504.aspx. Hope you find your answer here.
2. The remove statement is not really needed - its redundant. (Remove is used to remove/clear previously declared entries)
Nov 24, 2006 03:22 AM|blacksheepvn|LINK
SBS does not has the Administration pages. Please teach me how can i insert new products or new categories.
I'm new ASP.net 2.0