Last post Oct 01, 2006 08:52 AM by RalphMartinez
Jun 24, 2006 03:23 PM|tomhe|LINK
I’ve had trouble getting my Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition to work at home. I have AOL as my ISP, and had difficulties running my websites from VWD in debug mode (F5 key). It always wanted to launch
AOL and seem to run into a brick wall when it displayed the 580 Server Error. I’ve struggled with for days now, and finally stumbled on something that works for me. After all, I really only care about displaying my work in a browser, and it seemed that AOL
wouldn’t let me. I searched a dozen or so forums for a fix, and kept getting the same advice about changing default browsers and file types. I tried all of them, but I still couldn’t get my work displayed in a browser (any browser). After days of messing around,
I hit on something that worked for me. I’m not sure how much of what I changed lead up to my small victory, so I’ve included what I did just in case.
Windows XP Home Edition, SP 2 (I’m not running Internet Information Service, IIS)
AOL 9.0 Security Edition (My ISP; dialup)
MS Internet Explorer 6.0 (Loaded on my machine)
MS Web Developer 2005 Express Edition
MS SQL Sever 2005 Express Edition w/SQL Server Management Studio Express
MS.NET Framework 2.0
As I said, I tried all the suggestions about opening Tools>Internet Options> Programs tab and re-setting everything, including the Reset Web Settings button and checking the “Internet Explorer should check to
see whether it is the default browser” Checkbox. None of this seemed to work, and I’m sure you have too. Although, I did do something else that may have facilitated the workaround, but I have no way of knowing.
I started my AOL software and logged into my account. Then I opened my Internet Explorer, and it asked if I wanted to make IE my default browser. I’d not seen this before (AOL for 10 years); I said yes, and set
www.msn.com as my home page (AOL ignores this, but after I connect with AOL and open IE, it goes there). I though I had it whipped, but when I ran VWD it launched AOL and gave me the 580 error. However, I don’t know if this change was a step in correcting
I continued to mess around with it for while (days). All along I regularly got these pop-up messages in my task bar at the lower right of my screen informing me that I was running an ASP.NET development server
port open, but ignored them. I decided to right click the icon and see what was going on there. One of the menu selections was “Open in Web Browser” so I clicked on it. Guess what? I finally was able to see my web pages in a browser for the first time. WOW!
I know this seems simple, and perhaps all you engineers reading this are lol, but to some of us out there, this is a big deal.
A couple of caveats, however;
Once VWD goes into debug mode, your display in the VWD application changes. To get out of debug (and return to edit mode), right click the icon again and select “Stop” from the pop-up menu.
I can’t get to the “ASP.NET Configuration” page from the “Website” menu in VWD, but I’m working on it.
Aug 07, 2006 09:39 AM|RalphMartinez|LINK
My system's configuration is a tad different thant yours, but I'm having the same problem. I'm writing from a public computer, so I can not test your solution right now; but I'll do it as soon as I get to my computer. Hopefully it works. I'll keep you posted.
Oct 01, 2006 08:52 AM|RalphMartinez|LINK
This response may seem very late, but it's just now (yesterday, for that matter) that I found the solution to this problem. And I said I would post when I founded it.
What has to be done is to go to Solution Explorer. Pick any web page on the project, and right click on it. Then select "Browse with...". This will show a dialog window in which a browser can be selected to browse the page. From the "Browsers" list, select
Microsoft Internet Explorer, click the "Set as Default" button and close the dialog window. From that point on, voilá! Internet explorer will again be automatically chosen by Visual Studio to run when in debugging mode.