Get Help:Ask a Question in our Forums|Report a Bug|More Help Resources
Last post Jan 23, 2013 02:46 AM by pradeep_singh
Jan 23, 2013 12:42 AM|LINK
I have just finished developing an ASP.NET website and I am looking to host in on a server. However, I have not found a suitable domain name for my site.
Do you guys think I can still host and preview it remotely? What should I do?
My intention is to upload all my files, check them whether they work properly on the server and then, I will start looking for a suitable domain. Please help...
Jan 23, 2013 12:52 AM|LINK
Try http://aspspider.com/. They say it's free.
Goodluck and Regards
Jan 23, 2013 01:05 AM|LINK
Yes, you can host your site and preview it remotely.
You have to modify your local HOSTS file, please follow the following steps:
1. Please go toC:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
2. Please locate the HOSTS file and please open this file by using Notepad
3. Please enter "IP_address www.yourDomain.com" and save this file. Please note that IP_address is a shared/dedicated IP address assigned to your website by the hosting company. Usually you can find your shared IP address on your activation email.
Jan 23, 2013 01:36 AM|LINK
I am not actually asking for host recommendation
thanks dyyo for the complete guideline,
it helps me a lot, however, I am still confused.
Do I really need a static IP for my purpose or will a shared IP OK for my requirement? If, let's say, I have made up my mind on a particular domain name, what should I do next?
Jan 23, 2013 01:47 AM|LINK
Both Static and Shared IP can do.
If you have choose your domain name, you can purchase the domain.
After that, in your domain control panel, you must point it to your hosting name server.
Jan 23, 2013 02:07 AM|LINK
thanks for the answer
Can you please inform me the purpose of a static IP? Do I really need it? I ask this simply because I have to pay it to get it.
What is the bad implications to have a shared IP address?
Jan 23, 2013 02:16 AM|LINK
Normally, it won't cause any issue for you if you host your website on a shared ip address, however, in some cases you might need to buy a static ip address.
1) If you plan to own a Private SSL certificate, then you will need a static ip address. Basically, e-commerce websites need SSL certificate to secure the transactions between the customer and vendor which is done using the credit cards. Usually, web hosts
offer both shared and dedicated ssl, however if you opt for a shared ssl, you will not need a static ip.
2) In case, if you want to use anonymous FTP, you will need to have a static ip address. To make the anonymous FTP function properly, most of the web hosting providers will ask you to buy a static ip address.
3) If you wish to access your site using an FTP software or web browser, when the domain name is inaccessible. For example: in the domain name propagation periods.
4) If you're interested with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Service
Jan 23, 2013 02:46 AM|LINK
superb answer and thanks a lot for your time :)