Last post Jul 03, 2010 08:38 PM by sabalimotu
Jul 03, 2010 08:38 PM|sabalimotu|LINK
How to install the ASP.NET 2.0 Classifieds Ad Starter kit on DiscountASP.NET Server or Any Server you Have practically used.
Please , do not hesitate to share you view about how to successfully deploy ASP.NET Classifieds Ad starter kit to a name server without giving error, i think it is going to be a benefit to members in this forum. NOTE- Include steps by steps.
I was going through a forum and i discover the following steps which a programmer used but it look confusing as many contributors were unable to succeed using his method, the method is show below
I am sure, Honourable members of this forum should have a solution better than the one shown below.
- ASP.NET 2.0
- Visual Web Developer (VWD)
- SQL Express if you intend to develop on your local machine
1) Download and install the starter kit on your computer from
http://www.asp.net. Once installed, the Classified Starter kit should be one of the available templates in VWD
2) Open Visual Web Developer
3) Create a local copy of the site
- Select File -> New -> Website. This should bring up the New Web Site dialogue box.
- Select 'Classifieds Web Site Starter Kit'
- In Location: Select 'File System'
- Put in a location where you want VWD to install the web site
- Select either Visual Basic or Visual C# as language
- Hit OK
4) Install the Database Schema on DiscountASP.NET SQL server
- The SQL script to generate the database is located in the /App_code directory
- You can use your favorite SQL client to execute the script. Here, I am using osql as an example
a) Execute the command below to create the schema
osql -S <sql server name> -U <db_user> -P <DB_password> -d <DB_Name> -i <path to the starterKit>\App_datat\classifieds-add.sql
b) Execute the command below to create some sample data
osql -S <sql server name> -U <db_user> -P <DB_password> -d <DB_Name> -i <path to the starterKit>\App_datat\classifieds-categories.sql
5) Update the Web.config file
- Comment out the following:
<add name='classifiedsConnection' connectionString='Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirector y|\classifiedsdb.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True' providerName='System.Data.SqlClient' />
- Add the following:
<add name='classifiedsConnection' connectionString='Data Source=<sql server name>.discountasp.net;Initial Catalog=<DB_Name>;User ID=<db_user>;Password=<DB_password>' />
- Update the SMTP setting
Change host='' to host='localhost'
6) Set up membership / role provider database
7) Copy your site to DiscountASP.NET servers
8) Setup the directory as a web application using the Web Application Tool in the control panel.
All attempt, to go into the link show in the write up
http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10364 prove abortive as it continue to show error
Where i get lost.
On step 4, Installation of the database, i think there should be a simple method of installing database to server instead of the one show above.
STEP 6, Updating of web config. file- do you agree with this step or any other methods.
Step 7- Set up membership provider / role provider database - i think the database is allready established is there any need for that.
Step 8 - i agree with that but one thing with classifieds ad. template is when u create a file and u copy it to another file , it look as if it does not run as original file standing on it own.
CLassifide starter kit deployment to DiscountASP.NET Server