Last post Apr 25, 2008 02:39 PM by schester
Apr 25, 2008 02:39 PM|schester|LINK
I'm having a severe problem with a website that I cannot resolve, and after looking extensively online I have found no solution. I have a website that was originally written using ASP.Net 1.1. It is mostly inline code, with two 1.1 .Net assemblies. It
is basically written like Classic ASP. Almost a year ago I installed ASP.Net 2.0 on the server, and modified the framework version under which the website runs from 1.1 to 2.0. I also created a separate application pool for the site.
I have recently begun migrating the inline SQL and error handling code to a 2.0 C# assembly that uses the Enterprise Library 3.1 for data access, exception handling, and logging. Within the last two weeks I began getting the error in the subject line regarding
this assembly, DataProvider.dll. It took me a while to find out that anything that causes an application recycle, such as deploying a change to the web.config (for example) will cause the site to "forget" where the assembly is. I can go to the server, copy
and past the assembly in the bin folder, then delete the copy (leaving the original) and it will suddenly recycle and "see" the assembly again.
There is nothing in the 1.1 temporary asp.net files. I tried the fusion log viewer, but get no information that is meaningful or helpful. This morning I recompiled the two 1.1 assemblies to be 2.0, and deployed those to the bin folder, and the application
could not see those either. I restored them to their 1.1 versions, and it saw them fine.
I'm lost, and need someone smarter than I.