Get Help:Ask a Question in our Forums|Report a Bug|More Help Resources
Last post Mar 19, 2008 02:46 AM by Benson Yu - MSFT
Mar 13, 2008 04:33 AM|LINK
Whenever I create the new website in vs2005 it create the sln file in the D drive instead of with in the folder of web site. I want to get the sln file in the web site's folder. Because when I want to run this web site
on another computer there is problem.
I there any correct way to create the new Web Site.
Mar 13, 2008 07:32 AM|LINK
By default, the website is created in the local IIS, and te solution file is created in your project directory. Just change the destination of your solution file when you create it File -> New Web Page and the solution will be in the same folder as the project
Mar 13, 2008 07:39 AM|LINK
Can you elaborate more on the problem that is created when you run on another computer. Did you try using the ip address of the computer that you are hosting the application on? Provide the details so that we can check it out!!!
Mar 13, 2008 10:15 AM|LINK
thanks for repling,
I want to ask when I create a web site a then copy it to run it on another computer. I saw it could not run.
Because there is no *.sln file in the folder. I want to ask how can we save *.sln file in the folder of web site.
Mar 13, 2008 10:22 AM|LINK
Yea, while creating the project, select the path not as the localhost but as a local drive and then share that directory so that the folder is used by anyone on the intranet.
Mar 19, 2008 02:46 AM|LINK
Based on my understanding, you have created a website project, now you want to copy the project to another machine and run it on that machine as well. The issue is that you cannot run it.
In my opinion, missing solution is not the problem because Visual Studio will create it automatically when opening the website project. The “cannot run it” means you don’t know how to open the project (without the *.sln file) by Visual Studio or
you don’t know how to make the copyed website project as web appliciton/virtual directory for accessing via IIS. If I have any misunderstanding, please let me know.
For the situation that if you don’t know how to open the web site project without the solution file, Please check the following steps:
1. Open Visual Stduio 2005 IDE.
2. Click menu: File | Open | Web Site… | File System.
3. Select the directory of the copied web site project, and then click the “Open” button.
4. Visual Studio 2005 will create a solution file for this web site project automatically. Then the project can run without any problem under the build-in ASP.NET Development Server.
For the situation that you don’t know how to open the web site project via IIS, please check the following steps:
1. Open IIS manager (Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Internet Information Services).
2. Create a virtual directory for the copied web project (refer to the link below).
3. Make sure the virtual directory is configured to ASP.NET 2.0 (right click the created virtual directory, and then sleect “Properties”. Click the “ASP.NET” tab, ensure the “ASP.NET version” is set to "2.0.50727”).
4. Open Visual Studio 2005 IDE.
5. Click Menu: File | Open | Web Site… | Local IIS.
6. Select the created virtual directory and then click the “Open” button.
7. Visual Studio 2005 will create a solution file for this web site project and the project will run with local IIS.
How to: Create and Configure Virtual Directories in IIS 5.0 and 6.0