Get Help:Ask a Question in our Forums|Report a Bug|More Help Resources
Last post Jul 23, 2009 04:24 AM by CherylVSimpson
Feb 26, 2008 05:21 PM|LINK
I have a project, originally created in VS2005, now running in 2008. It is targetted at .NET 2.0 and is using MS AJAX and the AJAX Control Toolkit.
I get the following error when trying to edit in <script/> tag:
"Error updating JScript IntelliSense: JScript IntelliSense has been disabled for referenced scripts. A referenced script may have caused a stack overflow. Reopen this file to reenable IntelliSense."
I have 3 solutions (originally created in 2005) that I am now attempting to use in 2008 and all have this same error.
I have tried removing, one by one, all script tags from the page. Each time I close and re-open the file. The error message reappears everytime until there are no script tags what so ever.
The moment I add another script section and click inside the <script></script> tags, I see at the bottom it says JScript intellisense updating... for 3-5 secs then I see the error.
One thing worth noting is that the intellisense isn't completely broken. It still lists local vars and DOM elements, but it does not show anything from the MS AJAX client libraries.
So there seems to be something wrong with the way it is referencing the System.Web.Extensions or AjaxControlToolkit.
Feb 26, 2008 09:10 PM|LINK
Okay so I created a brand new website. It's targetted at .NET 3.5. There is only a Default.aspx, Default.aspx.cs, a web.config, and an empty App_Data folder.
I only had to take 2 steps to reproduce the problem.
Step 1: Add <script> tag in head section. JScript IntelliSense updated with no errors.
Step 2: Added ScriptManager, closed and reopened Default.aspx, now JScript IntelliSense failed with the same error.
Feb 29, 2008 05:53 PM|LINK
Mar 06, 2008 09:19 PM|LINK
Thanks. That did and didn't fix my problem.
It's one of those cases where it fixed one bug but then another cropped up.
I now get the following error:
Warning 13 Error updating JScript IntelliSense: D:\...\menu.js: Automation server can't create object @ 0:0 D:\...\Search.aspx 1 1 D:\...\Search\
The menu.js file contains many references to new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument"), which I suspect to be the problem.
When googling this issue I find that most of the refrences to this problem are several years old and the fix was to reinstall MS Script. So I did that, but it didn't help.
The thing is, the site runs fine. The menu.js works a charm. It's only when the stupid JScript intellisense tries to parse the file does it choke.
Mar 08, 2008 03:53 AM|LINK
Jul 23, 2009 04:24 AM|LINK
Check out this blog entry:
James has created a header file that will fix the problem for you!