Get Help:Ask a Question in our Forums|Report a Bug|More Help Resources
Last post Jan 18, 2007 08:08 AM by jae.lee
Jan 17, 2007 11:47 AM|LINK
I have some questions about deployment:
1. I used copy webSite for All the projects that i develop until now i. and i wanted to ask what the different between copy webSite and deploy?
and, if i create one dll for my web site its affect the performence or anything else, in contradiction of copy webSite?
2. I created one dll of my website, is that dll include all the images, styles, aspx, ascx, and other resources of my site, or just the code behid like visual studio 2003?
3. After i create my webSite dll, where do i put it so i will be able to run the site?
4. I want to use IncrementBuildNumber.cs class from
http://weblogs.asp.net/bradleyb/archive/2005/12/02/432150.aspx, and i get the following errors, about the following dll's:
"The type or namespace name 'Build' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft' (are you missing an assembly reference?"
I tried to take those dll's from "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727" and put them in my BIN folder, or in the GAC, and still the same error, why is that?
Jan 17, 2007 01:18 PM|LINK
Hope this helps and let me know if this worked for you.
Jan 17, 2007 09:38 PM|LINK
Did above post work for you?
Jan 18, 2007 06:53 AM|LINK
thank you for your answers...
what do you mean by that:"ONLY IF YOU EMBEDDED during COMPILATION"?
and, what i ment to ask about the diferent between copy webSite and deploy is, between two of them, who is the better one(let sey if i copy my webSite as is, or deploy my webSite to one dll)is the performence affected when i upload one compiled dll, instead
of using copy WebSite?
and, i didn't understood your answer about where to upload my deploy files, if i deploy my webSite and i get one dll, i can put it under the its virtual directory and just call to the first page in the project?
Jan 18, 2007 08:08 AM|LINK
1. Embedding during compilatoin -> is making sure your referenced files are INCLUDED in DLL. (so it's more modular and portable)
2. Difference between copy and deploy. -> which suits you better? (i've given you the pros and cons of each. - choice is yours.)
My take is that you probably should do website copy. (easier to manager updates to the code)
Precompiled DOES react faster (just a bit - since webserver will compile it for you if compiled code is not there, but caches the compilation - thus delay occurs on first time only)
3. ASPX pages goes to the webroot and DLL goes to the BIN.
Based on your questions (how to embed during compilation), I think you shouldn't opt for deployment just yet. Deployment has options such as embedd resources, updatable, strict-named, ...etc.
If you're not comfortable with this, don't try it. All of these options are built toward efficient and faster performance but lacks updatable/changes to the application as options get larger.
So if you must require my advice, go for website copy. It's the easiest to manage codes.
Hope this helps.