Last post Oct 17, 2006 06:02 PM by boneoh
Oct 17, 2006 06:02 PM|boneoh|LINK
Hi, everybody! Please help me if you can.
I am using VS 2005 and publish my web application to a server.
On my development machine, the ADODB.DLL in the GAC is version 7.0.3300.0
When I attempt to run this on the server, I get the following error message:
Could not load file or assembly 'ADODB, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
The version in the GAC on the server is 7.10.3077
When I looked on my development machine for a newer version, I found
C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies\adodb.dll at version 7.10.3077
I tried to install the newer version in the GAC by both using gacutil and by dragging and dropping the newer version into the windows\assembly folder. Drag and drop gave no error message, but the new version did not appear. Gacutil was even worse, it said
it was successfully installed, but was not. I attempted to uninstall the old version first, but received an error message that the old version was used by other applications. No clue as to what those other applications are... This is bad
I have searched high and low for a copy of the adodb.dll that is version 7.0.3300 but have found none. The ms dllhelp was no help either. This is worse.
It seems to me that the solution is one of these, but I can't get there from here:
1. Get a copy of the 7.0.3300 dll from somewhere and install it on the server. Don't tell me to search other machines, I have already done that. Microsoft should have it available somewhere, but Bill Gates isn't saying just yet.
2. Somehow install the 7.10.3077 on my development machine and update the reference in my project.
This raises some questions in my mind:
1. How can I tell which applications depend on the old version of ADODB.dll on my development machine, so I might possibly be able to uninstall them, remove the old version from the GAC, and install the new dll?
2. What happed when the 7.0.3300 version got put into the GAC? Did the file not get stored in some other directory as well?
3. Why can I not successfully install two different versions of this dll in my GAC? It seems that this would be a rather strict limitation. I have seen other dlls in the GAC with multiple versions.
Sorry to rant, but here goes anyways - this bites! I don't have hours and hours to kill on this. I have been googling like crazy for over two hours.
Thanks in advance for any help on this booger.