Get Help:Ask a Question in our Forums|Report a Bug|More Help Resources
Last post Jan 30, 2013 05:13 PM by Stark8352
Jan 28, 2013 07:07 PM|LINK
Looking for some help with my database connectivity. My website is developed in Visual Studio 2008 and I have a few databases set up which were based on SQL server 2008 express. However, I have just updated this to version R2 and since doing this I can
no longer access the database and get the dreaded message:
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.
Why does it do this when all I did was update to the latest version? More importantly is anyone able to tell me how to correct this. Please could you explain in dummy terms!
Jan 28, 2013 07:15 PM|LINK
However, I have just updated this to version R2
Are you saying that you have updated sql server express to a full version of sql server?
Jan 28, 2013 07:29 PM|LINK
No, I've downloaded the R2 version of SQL 2008 Express. The whole reason why I downloaded it in the first place is that I am incorporating a piece of software into my website that uses a database that was created with a later version of SQL 2008 than I
had. When I looked on the internet at the original error message I had, it suggested that I needed the updated version which is R2.
Jan 28, 2013 10:05 PM|LINK
Jan 29, 2013 08:29 AM|LINK
From the error message you post, if you need to connect this instance remotely, please make sure you have enabled Named Pipes, TCP/IP, protocols, have set the Windows Firewall to allow SQL Server Access, and then try to connect again.
If those methods don't help you, please post the the information in the brackets, provider, error number etc. Thanks a lot.
Jan 30, 2013 05:13 PM|LINK
Thank you both for your responses.
I have actually since restored my computer back to before I installed R2 and tried the software with an Access database instead which I've now got working. My original sql databases are back working now as well.
When I've got more time I will reinstall the latest sql server and bear in mind what you've both said as ultimately I do want to use SQL.
Anyway, thanks for now