Get Help:Ask a Question in our Forums|Report a Bug|More Help Resources
Last post Dec 31, 2012 07:59 AM by Haixia Xie - MSFT
Dec 27, 2012 04:17 PM|LINK
i am very new in WCF world. i just download a code and saw the wcf service config file but confusion is occuring in my mind regarding entries in config file for WCF service due to my lack of knowledge.i go through some online article but still i have confusion.
here are my question
1) <service name="WCFService.Service"
when service name is required? can i omit the service name and if yes then what kind of problem may occur?
2) can i set any name to service name like abc.xyz or is there is some rule for assigning service name?
3) what is the use of base address? if one omit the base address then what can be problem.
when base address is required.according to below config entries there are two base addresses...why two base address is required. when people give more base addresses? just see the below 2 base address and tell me why people give two base address why not one...is
there any specific reason?
4) there are two endpoints one is tcp and another is mex.
if i omit mex base address then service will not be discoverable? if yes that means no one can create proxy from VS IDE or svcutil....am i right.
5) if mex endpoint will be remove then how one can interact with the service....there must be some other way out. if so then tell me how one can interact with service as a client end.
just see the above mex endpoint and tell me can we write mex endpoint url anything like
net.tcp://localhost:1645/MyServer/mex instead of ChatServer ??
actually wcf service hosted in win form project whose name is ChatServer. is this the reason that url becomes net.tcp://localhost:1645/ChatServer/mex?
7) what is the meaning of /mex....net.tcp://localhost:1645/ChatServer/mex
/mex is mandatory and mex is fixed word?
8) now see tcp endpoint <endpoint address="tcp"
tcp endpoint address has no url rather tcp the word has been assign to address property...why?
can't we assign any valid url to address filed of tcp endpoint??
9) the address field of tcp endpoint will always have the fixed word called "tcp" is it rule or convention.
10) if i need to add another endpoint called wsdualhttp binding then what i need to write in config file
11) suppose some one developing service which will be hosted in IIS but client can be another asp.net web apps and win apps then what he/she need to do?
then what url client should use to create proxy from VS ide? can anyone come with sample config entries.
12) how to write config file if i want that people can create proxy of my service using two url like....one is as sample net.tcp://localhost:1645/ChatServer/mex and another one
i know my question are very basic but still i am not being able to sort these question.
also guide me how could i have strong knowledge for creating config file entries boldly.
is there any tool which will create right config entries for my service....i am is there any automated apps which will do it on behalf developer. thanks
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<service name="WCFService.Service" behaviorConfiguration="behaviorConfig">
<serviceMetadata httpGetEnabled="true" httpGetUrl=""/>
<serviceThrottling maxConcurrentCalls="100" maxConcurrentSessions="100"/>
<reliableSession enabled="true" inactivityTimeout="00:20:00"/>
Dec 31, 2012 07:59 AM|LINK
Thanks for your post.
here. As suggested you will get better help if you ask questions with different topics, that can also help those people who encountered the same issue. I am glad to see that you have do as suggested. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.