Get Help:Ask a Question in our Forums|Report a Bug|More Help Resources
Last post Dec 14, 2012 01:20 AM by Eagle_f90
Dec 13, 2012 11:18 PM|LINK
I am building an ASP.Net site that will pull dynamic data from SQL server. The site will be built with localization/globalization foundations in anticipation that in a year or so the site will start holding translations for non-english speaking users. I
already know how acomplish this in ASP.Net for the static content but I would like some suggestions on a DB design for the dynamic data. I have toyed with the following 3 ideas and would like some inpute on them and any thoughts on other ways.
1: Create a unique database for each language set and use ASP.Net to dynamicly change which DB the data comes from.
2. Create copies of each table appending the local code to hold the translated data (i.e. Table-en, Table-fr, Table1-en, Table1-fr)
3. Leave DB and table design intact (only adding a single column to hold the local code) and insert translated data as a new row entry.
Dec 14, 2012 01:09 AM|LINK
I have never developed localization/globalization application static using asp.net. However I can share idea. First thing I will never create mutliple DB for each langauge.
I don't know your requirement however for instance if I want to show controls (label, buttons etc) on website into the specific language (language choosen by website visitor which will be stored into the cookie to use when next time user visit website) then
I would like to go as follow.
Your table in DB as follow
(1) Tbl_Langauge (LangID, LanguageName)
(2) Tbl_ContentType(ContentTypeID,ContentType) --> This will stores content type like Terms&Condition, Abut Us, Controls (For label, buttons, checkbox, use listview instad of Gridview [if you have list] etc.)
(3) Tbl_Content (ContentID,ContentTypeID,LanguageID,Content
(4) When cookie is empty then your language ID would be 1 (For English), if cookie has value say 5 (Maori). Your all stored procedure must uses languageID.
Dec 14, 2012 01:20 AM|LINK
I think your missing what I need to do, controls and static content like terms and contidtions and what not would be controled by the ASP.Net content. The data base would be holding dynamic data which is where I am having difficulty figuring out how to deal